3D Effects in Leopard

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jimmieboy, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Jimmieboy macrumors 6502

Jimmieboy

Hi everyone. Do any of you know if you will be able to have a 3D desktop and or hge amounts of 3D effects. This sounds tupid but does anyone have any idea of the yar the OS after leopard will come out? Thanks in advance

2. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Mind blank, if I remember late 2006 or early 2007 (maybe thats Vista), of was it late 2007?

No one (bar the good folk at Apple) know how much 3D stuff will be included.

What do you mean by a 3D desktop? And why the interest in whether its 3D or not?

3. Jimmieboy thread starter macrumors 6502

Jimmieboy

Hey thanks for your reply. I mean like a 3D enabled desktop. Like icons that you can fly to etc. I'm so interested in this as when this comes out I will buy the 17" powerbook maxxed out. Thanks

4. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Are you talking about something like seen in Jurassic park (on Apple computers mind you) on their "Unix" systems?

There were multiple scenes were people were navigating the system by flying to portions of the OS in some kind of Virtual Desktop.

5. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

LOL, icons that you can fly. Umm no idea, I don't think I have heard anything about this type of thing but information on Leopard is scarce so who knows.

Could you please elaborate a bit more on this 3D desktop bit, do you have a picture of something similar?

6. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

yes, that's right. icons that you can fly to! :D

here's one app that might explain what all this 3D-ness is all about:
    3D-Space VFS (Visual File System)

[​IMG]

on the Windows side you've got SphereXP.
    [​IMG]

there was another really neat OS X app that let you spin around and go up and down levels while navigating the file structure - but i couldn't find it. if anyone knows the link...

it's pretty cool stuff to play around with. but in using these apps you notice that the interaction is very clunky and unnatural. i'm hoping that OS'es will go the 3D way - i'd just love to see Apple's implementation of it. you just know they'd make it absolutely kick-ass! :D

7. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I want H.264 encoding and decoding to fly in addition to the icons.

8. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Extremely interesting :)

That does remind me of Jurassic Park :eek:

LMAO!!

Me too! I still only have 4 DVD's encoded for my V5 ipod. :(

Well this is a totally seperate subject :eek: .

9. mdavey macrumors 6502a

mdavey

10. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

seriously what is it with the graphics what i care more about is the stability of the os and the speed and capabilites which all effect my performance of work i do

11. pionata macrumors 6502

I dont mind flying icons, as long as they have different weapons and that it support up to 128 players. lol

12. DarkBlue-G5 macrumors member

DarkBlue-G5

Yikes. Thank God for iTerm - looks like I'm going to be spending more time with it if Leopard's heading in this direction.

As if the Finder weren't already cumbersome enough! :eek:

13. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

They look pretty sweet. Perhaps we will have 3d mouse movement as well, not that you would need it. Somehow I don't think we will see this but you never can tell. You must need a pretty good graphics card to fly around smoothly.

14. excalibur313 macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

That seems like it has the potential to be far more useful than a conventional desktop or finder. Just imagine clicking on a folder and then you zoom in as the folder opens. You could find so much more information (like I could just press f11 and then launch what ever program I wanted instead of going though finder which is a little more click intensive)

15. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

ZOMG!!!

i just had a great idea! you could use the little scroll sphere on the Mighty Mouse to change your view in 3D space!! :eek: :D and then you could use right button to move forward, left to move back. damn. that'd be like a game. :p this is getting a bit too out of control...