3D illusion slows drivers

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by obeygiant, Sep 9, 2010.

1. macrumors 68040

obeygiant

[​IMG]

cnn

This would give me a heart attack if I wasn't ready. sheesh!

2. macrumors 6502

rprebel

This is insane and will only cause accidents.

3. macrumors 68000

RawBert

Me no likey.

I hope someone dumps black paint all over it.

That's why speed bumps were invented. This will just cause jolting reactions.

4. macrumors 65816

I am all for artistic expression, but considering our training as a nation of drivers this is abnormal and possibly more distracting than a cellphone.

5. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

Agreed, I don't think this is a good idea.

6. macrumors 65816

Imagine the increase in rear end accidents associated with streets which use such a traffic marker with this degree of realism--considering we are accustomed to stick figure stencils.

7. macrumors 65816

What if there was a real little girl with a pink ball and you assumed it was just another decal and kept going...

8. macrumors G3

dmr727

Or we get so used to seeing these that we fail to stop when there's actually a young girl in the road chasing a ball. ;)

EDIT:
    Beat me to it!

9. macrumors 65816

*squish!* OH **** another one!?

10. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Exactly what I was going to post.

11. macrumors 68020

R94N

Clever idea, not sure whether drivers are actually going to slow down though. The YouTube video I saw of this was pretty interesting, particularly the comments (always love the YouTube comments haha).

12. macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Blame the government and sue them for your distress!

13. macrumors 6502

Conjures images of a drunken steamroller driver in my mind. (Blame Looney Tunes.)

14. macrumors 601

Don't panic

seems like an incredibly dumb idea

here is a video of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r26AwT7PTM

this reminds me ages ago i was travelling in austria (i think, maybe switzerland) and they had cutouts of police officers and cars on the side of the road. it was surprisingly effective.

15. macrumors 603

What the quoted text in the first post (and the CNN article barely mentions) is that the image does not "just appear". As you approach the school zone there are signs. Signs that you are in school zone. Signs that there is a traffic calming device ahead. As you approach you will see a funny blob, clearly. As you continue to approach the image it will transition into the 'girl and ball'.

The zone is a school zone, so drivers should already be going slow (30kph).

My fear is not that there will be accidents, but that there will be extra traffic as people come from all over to get a look at this. It's getting huge play in Vancouver, not surprisingly.

16. Guest

Surely

Agreed.

I think that painting a giant 3D penis on the street would somehow be more effective. And hilarious.

17. macrumors 68020

Bingo. This is simply not right. You should advise and warn drivers with signage etc, but not try and deceive them or trick them.

18. macrumors G3

rhett7660

You are having to dig pretty deep for this one. A: little girls don't wear pink shoes. Come on now. Pink is sooo 70's. And B: they would have to be outside playing with a ball and not in front of a tv playing Wii!

19. macrumors 603

If a driver couldn't tell the difference between a blob that resolves into a static image of a kid and ball, and the real thing... then they shouldn't be driving.

And, to everyone else. The decal is up only for week. The whole point is to get media attention and coverage to help educate drivers about the first week of school. Which is the deadliest week for school kids as they and drivers get used to the school year traffic patterns.

20. macrumors G3

Counterfit

Invisible rope is far more effective.

21. macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Why not just do an image of a really big, steep speed-bump? Drivers would slow down in anticipation, without the discomfort of a real speed-bump, and without the knee-jerk reaction of seeing a child on the road.

And if any driver saw a real speed bump and thought it's just a fake... It'll serve them right! ;)

22. macrumors 603

Good suggestion.... though, it would just be easier and cheaper to actually make the speed bump. Vancouver has numerous wide and low speed bumps, that come in pairs. If you drive over them at 30kph or less it's like a boat going over a swell. You float over them in a distintive uup-dowwn-uup-dowwn motion. Hit them going too fast, and you slam down on the 2nd bump so hard you bottom out. One learns to slow down when approaching these bumps....

23. macrumors G3

Counterfit

Hit the first one really fast so you can double them.

24. macrumors 68000

ideal.dreams

I can see where they're going with this, but I don't think it's the best idea in the world. What would happen if the driver sees it, and swerves into oncoming traffic to prevent from hitting the 'child'?

I'd rather have a little speeding without scaring drivers half to death.

25. macrumors 6502a

At least they did not add a cast shadow to her, that would make it ten times worse.

Even with warning signs I still do not know if this is a good idea. It will only take one bad driver to run down someone, thinking its one of these road images. It does not have to look like a little girl either if people get used to these over time....they will just think its a new kind of shape / image which has been added.

Maybe a cop with his hand up would have been a better idea.