3D Imaging (URGENT)

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Ensign Paris, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Hi

I need to urgently find a solution that will take a raster image (the size of the can) and put it around a can which will allow clients to spin it around (hopefully in QTVR) I can remember apple doing this on March 24th 2001 when demostrating what OSX can do.

I look forward to your help.

BTW I have looked at Wrapture it is good but it is so expensive and we will be buying about 100 copies and its just to much of an investment for something that probably will never work with OSX!

Ensign

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

How big of rush is it? Do you need software now? Or would you be interested in just farming it out?

If its just a can and an image, I could do it for you in a few minutes, send you the single frames or a QuickTime movie.

There is some free software out there too, the only one I can think of off the top of my head is Strata3D.

Send me email if you need my help.

3. Geert macrumors 6502a

Geert

Does QT not support that kind of things?
    You checked on the Apple site /quiktime.
    I know I ran into such a thing and it was Quicktime.
    Perhaps ADC??

4. Ensign Paris thread starter macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I don't need the software I just need information (for my boss) I can't find any :(

We need something simple if possible and just to put a raster tiff into a program and get a 'tube' file we can turn around and view from different angles.

We are talking in the many thousands of cans per week (we are a prepress house working for Cott etc...)

Ensign

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

You're talking in the couple thousand cans a week? Whoa! That's quite a bit. Who's generating the couple thousand images a week?

It sounds to me as though you're going to need a OpenGL program here. Your best bet is to find someone who can code it for you, pretty straight foreward 3D wise, and link to a database of images for all the cans.

Explain the project a little better, cause I might be able to find someone for you if I know the specs specifically.

6. Ensign Paris thread starter macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Basicly we get the designs in from the designers and then we want to turn them into 3D QTVR or OpenGL objects so we can then put the designs to our clients.

We just a real quick and reasnobly cheap solution, it doesn't need to be db driven we have people ready to employ to do this.

Ensign

7. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

most of these 3d solutions use proprietary players.....

i'll look for you...

you want quicktime files?

C-

8. Choppaface macrumors 65816

you mean like a pano stitcher? qtvr does that... if you just need to spin it around you can do that in flash too. as for making the can, there's infini-d, which is old so it might be cheap

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

For the can you can find all sorts of free 3D models online. And if you're doing that many cans, you might want to just use a cylinder to make things simple and not have to worry about placing the texture map correctly, top to bottom, and just covering the whole side.