3D on the Macintosh

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by digital1, Jan 13, 2003.

1. digital1 macrumors 6502

digital1

This year I will finally have the money to invest in a hobby I would like to get better in. 3D modeling. I do not own a macintosh yet, but I was thinking about getting a dual-processor macintosh sometime this summer/spring to start on some 3d modeling and perhaps do some short animated films. I was thinking that by getting a Macintosh to do my 3d work, I would also be fulfilling a goal of getting some Macintosh in my house. Since I have some experience in a few apps, I was thinking of getting a Mac, Lightwave, and Poser; or perhaps Poser and Maya. I want to become more proficient in either one of those apps. I guess I am wondering has anyone used this combonation the Mac? Are the Power Macs good for modeling. I hear lots of confilicting and mixed information on 3d modeling/rendering on the mac. Does anyone have any experience in these apps? Since my financial situation will probably better by the next MacWorld, I figure this would be a good time to research before I invest heavily;Good and bad experiences are welcome. I want to know the advantages and disadvantages of doing 3d on the Mac. Thanks for the suggestions ahead of time!

2. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

poser sucks a lot...it is very limited and keyframing gets complicated when you have multiple things moving at one time...and it's POSER...you aren't actually modeling your own creations...it's like cheating

i would suggest getting maya personal learning edition...because if you buy it, you are stuck with it, and maya is damn expensive and extremely hard to learn

lightwave isn't as hard to model, but it's just as complicated when you want to add color/texture maps (add reality) to your objects or create movies for rendering

3. digital1 thread starter macrumors 6502

digital1

I kind of had that cheating feeling with Poser too... ;) thanks. ;) I guess we can wire this down to is it better to do maya and/or lightwave on the MAC or the PC... ;) We can take Poser out of this for now.

4. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Consider a third option?

Though I haven't done any work with it in a while, Electric Image makes it easy to create extremely realistic images and its renderer is extremely fast. It used to be the ONLY high-end 3D package for the Mac.

5. digital1 thread starter macrumors 6502

digital1

Will consider it!

I will consider it. I am open to any other suggestions you guys make. I am just trying to make an efficient decision. Something I can get good at. If there is something better on the mac I dont know about. TELL ME! :D :cool: if only studio max was on macs.... LOL ah well..

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: Consider a third option?

EI Universe is the current offering but you don't here all that much of it these days, but it was the largest or most recognized on the Mac. I'm working in Lightwave myself, which has a small following in the Mac realm and there are some other members here who do work with Cinema4D (agreenster and vitruvius), teabgs and jelloshotsrule use Maya, and I'm thinking of learning that as well.

What you need to figure out is what is you budget - cause these packages can set you back a bit of cash. But as for getting a really good handle on what to get, go to cgtalk.com and ask the pros in the forums on what they would recommend. Its a much better site for discussing any 3D option.

Good luck. :D

D

7. digital1 thread starter macrumors 6502

digital1

cool

Thanks for your opinions. Since I am a College student, I get nice discounts off of things. I figured, with the discounts, from apple and from the software manufacturers, I should theoretically need about 1900-2400 depending on the direction I take. I heard about CGtalk I am actually there too just looking yet. Maybe I will post later.... :D What are people's opinions of Cinema 4D?