3D programs for Animation

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by AppleinJapan, Apr 12, 2005.

1. AppleinJapan macrumors regular

Apr 10, 2005
    Hi, Im a new member to the boards so sorry if this question has been asked before. Im a 2D Animator (usually cell but also Toon Boom) but I've recently been interested in 3D animation especially after seeing the Lego Star Wars Game coming out.

Im looking for a 3D animation program that is Cheap and easy to use. I asked another Mac guy in the store in Ginza but the choices are too hard to think in. There's just too many programs !! and another said that I could use the quake engine to do 3D animation - is that possible

Any helpful ideas would be great - Thanks everybody
    Remember cheap and easy to use !
  2. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Apr 22, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    I really like Carrara from Eovia. It's not too expensive and it's does a pretty good job. It's interface is very un-Mac-like, but I think it's a pretty good interface nonetheless. I'm pretty sure there's demo on their site, but I'm too lazy to check it out. Check it out and see what you think.
  3. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

May 28, 2004
    In a false sense of reality...My Mind!
    AppleinJapan, hello I see you use Toon Boom for 2D (please pm or e-mail me I have some Q's for you on that). Okay I have downloaded from the Alias site Maya but I'm not sure if it's the full ver. or just part of the program. I'm willing to say a watered-down ver. but you may want to try it since it's free.
    I have heard as stated above, Carrara from Eovia is a nice program to have/use also...good luck.
  4. AppleinJapan thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 10, 2005
    Thanks for your advice.....Im was looking at Carrara's 3D studio - its only $49 dollars US !! But I'll check Maya from the site tomorrow...Artful - if you have any questions just ask me !! I'll try to help you :D