3d programs

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by synthetickittie, Jan 2, 2003.

1. synthetickittie macrumors regular

Dec 17, 2002
    whats 3d programs do people use for thier mac? Right now I only own a windows pc, and I only have ever used 3d max which I realy like, but Im about to switch over to a mac in a month or 2. I cant seem to find 3d max for the mac... am I not looking hard enough or is it realy not made for the mac?
  2. kansaigaijin macrumors 6502

Jan 7, 2002
    the great ether
    there are many 3d design and modeling apps for mac, what did you want to do?

check architosh.com
  3. Frobozz macrumors 65816

Jul 24, 2002
    South Orange, NJ

Hands down, Cinema 4D is the best. http://www.maxon.net

It has a robust feature set, is light years ahead of 3ds max's interface (if you can call it that), and has the fastest renderer in the industry. It's also very reasonably priced with a good modular design.

I work in the 3D industry, and have used a number of programs. I agree with the previous poster for architectural needs, you might want to branch out to CAD/CAM hybrids like Vectorworks. Judging by your statement that you use 3ds max, you should pick up either one of these apps very quickly. Cinema 4D is the 2nd most used 3D application in the world now... behind only 3ds max.

On a last note, make sure you get a dual processor Mac if you're using Cinema 4D. It will use the dual processors like a champ.
  4. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    Actually... I would have to say that Maya is the best, its more than a little costy though
  5. synthetickittie thread starter macrumors regular

Dec 17, 2002
    ya I have heard maya is very good but the hole price thing would probably stop me from getting that. As of right now Im used to working with splines, nurbs, and the modifiers... in Cinema 4D once I get used to the interface changes compaired to what Im used to now would I basically be able to work with the same concepts or if not is there somewhere I can download a demo of the program?
  6. yamadataro macrumors 6502

If you are an animation kinda guy, I guess Maya is the best. But my 3D industry friends told me that Maya is a little bit too much for part timers and learning curve is very steep.

Go and check out this page written by the DV guru Scott Billups:

I've heard good things about Cinema 4D, but it didn't look good enough for me. I've bought LightWave 3D and ElectricImage Universe recently instead. One of the major reasons why I've got Universe is because of Billups' comment on it about the rendering speed.

I guess I'm not going to say which is the best. Go and find what's best for your projects.
  7. teabgs macrumors 68030

Jan 18, 2002
    behind you
    Maya. hands down the best.....as long as you give yourself the time to learn it. Once the brick wall preventing you from knowing what to do is gone its wonderful.

Complete is only 2000 which isnt that bad for what you get.

And 4.5 runs wonderfully on jaguar...even on a friends 600mhz iMac. (not with hardcore stuff or rendering, but for modeling its fine.)
  8. agreenster macrumors 68000

Dec 6, 2001
    Walt Disney Animation Studios
    I have both Cinema4DXL7 and Maya Complete 4.5

Maya is the best. ITS the industry standard, period.

OSX (I feel) runs Maya more efficiently than Cinema4D.

Modeling in Cinema 4D is all Polygons and hypernurbs. There is really no true Spline/surface Nurb modeling at all.

BUT, if you are going to REALLY do 3D..........get a PC........and get Maya COmplete (or unlimited if you have the resources)
  9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    You can download a demo of C4D 8 from Maxons web site (http://www.maxon.net). It is fully functional but you cannot save your work.
    I'm trying to get my head round it now, but having never done any 3D work other than a little bit of Bryce I think it's gonna take a while.