3D Rendering of modern graphics cards

Discussion in 'Games' started by Spanky Deluxe, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Mar 17, 2005
    London, UK
    Ok, does anyone remember nVidia's Tech Demo at Siggraph in 2001 where they rendered some scenes from Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within in real time with their latest Quadro graphics chip, the Quadro DCC, which is basically a GeForce 3.

Here's nVidia's take on the event: http://www.nvidia.com/object/final_fantasy.html

The rendering was only at about 10 frames per second with a relatively low resolution and was a lower quality (obviously) than the film. Nevertheless, it was very impressive.

Now, that was a few years ago. GeForce 7900 GTXs have a fill rate five times that of the GeForce 3 although they are of course many many times more powerful than just 5 times as fast. Couple that with dual or quad SLI and you're talking something that's incredibly more powerful than the Quadro DCC used in the Final Fantasy tech demo.

Now I wonder what nVidia could do with that kind of power if they were making that tech demo now. Would it be enough to render the entire film at a close quality at a decent frame rate? I've always believed that a lot of potential performance is lost due to applications and operating systems having to cater to every hardware setup there is on the market. What could they do with a specific, highly optimised system?
  2. thegreatluke macrumors 6502a

Dec 29, 2005
    Like a Power Mac? :D

I mean, the Power Mac is essentially the only Mac out there with an upgradeable graphics card... so when they make Mac OS X drivers for that full-size graphics card, that driver will only be put to use in a Power Mac.