3D software through Bootcamp?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Tompi, May 2, 2006.

1. Tompi macrumors newbie

Ok, so i'm sure it can be done. but how well.

I'm a product design engineer and i need to use plenty of windows programs like 'solidworks' and 'autocad' for 3D design. Bootcamp is FANTASTIC! i want to buy a MBP 15" with 2G ram and the 2.16Ghz upgrade. but how well will that work for me?

I must admitt i purely WANT the MBP but i believe it will be the best machine for me being image and partability consious. i currently use a 2.2Ghz toshiba satallite which is a little slugish.

Appreciate any coments, particularily if you have tried one of these programs on your Mac.

Cheers.

P.S. what is teh deal with overclocking? how do you do it and whats the real point. I'm guessing its just flirting with danger, endevoring for more performance?

2. mf2k macrumors member

mf2k

I run Lightwave 3D on windows (only bee a week) and runs extremely well.

3. mlrproducts macrumors 6502

Well if you're doing anything in Autocad, why overclock? Unless, you enjoy loosing your work.

Otherwise, just look at any old laptop out there. You're gonna be using the whatever MHZ dual core with so much RAM, the fact that it is a Mac means nothing in Windows, its just a PC. Thus, I'd say its more than capable of running Autocad. Hell, AC runs fine on my T23.

4. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

I'd say it all depends on exactly what you are doing with AutoCad (and any other 3d program, for that matter). Either way I would say you will be fine- especially with 2 gigs of ram. That's the real key.

I got through my last 2 years of my Architecture program at college using my laptop- a Gateway m505x (Pentium M 1.4, 512 ram, ATI 9600 mobility) and I had no problems AT ALL with AutoCad, Sketchup (My favorite program, btw, and no partially free, check it out!), and Accurender. Renderings took quite some time, in large part due to the measily 512 ram in that baby. I am talking about serious renderings here though- full light modeling, radiosity, ect. ect. AutoCad and Sketchup always performed flawlessly (although AutoCad get sluggish at odd times, like when moving a large peice of text. Silly AutoCad).

2 gigs of ram and a Dual Core? You are undoubtedly good to go.

5. Tompi thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers

Thanks guys.

just was wondering, after there was an initial issue with graphics support, if it would be using the full specs. So now i know.

Now thats sorted, what would be the most valuble update? from 2.0 to 2.16Ghz ot the extra 2Gb RAM? have a feeling the RAM is what would help me. just thinking because the upgraded 15" is the same cost as the 17" minus the 8X DL super drive. (but its smaller!) couldn't see any other different specs other than battery life and obvious screen size, weight.

I think it'll be the 15...?

Any tips?

Thanks guys!

6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

The open lab at my previous school, where I was a mech. engineering major for a year, was filled with old Dell Optiplex's with, er, slow P3's (I'm sure they were under 600MHz, possibly less). AutoCAD on those was PAINFUL, especially compared to the lab used for my classes, which had just been outfitted with brand new Dell towers of some sort. Yeah, they were Dells, but it beat the hell out of Virtual PC. :eek:
    ANYWAYS, a Core Duo with 2GB of RAM should fly on 3D apps.

7. auhlixer macrumors regular

I have the same MBP except I also upgraded the HD to 7200 rpm. Inventor 10, AutoCad 2006, Rhino 3.0 & 3D Studio Max 8 run great.

It renders faster then my work computer which is a 3 ghz zeon w/ 1 gig ram.

I highly suggest the 7200 rpm HD