Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gooberton

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
this is a major problem, I can't believe more people aren't going crazy.
The problem:

If you tap a link or anything and you tap it 1 micro second to long nothing happens, you have to tap it super fast, I'm assuming due to the screen reading it as your going to keep pressing for multi touch sometimes I have to tap something 3 times. It's beyond annoying. I'm considering returning my 6sPLUS 128 rose gold due to this crap. I feel like they rushed this and were not truly ready
Thoughts?

WaruiKoohii

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2015
Boston
What is your 3D Touch sensitivity set as? The only thing I've found a bit tricky is uninstalling apps from the home screen, haven't had issues with touch elsewhere.

Reactions: sunking101

epigenome

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2010
I'm having difficulty trying to parse out what exactly you're saying is happening? When I do a soft click on a link in Safari (or from email/another app) one of two things happens: either the link opens or a menu pops up with the Open/Open In New Tab/Etc... items depending on how long I do the press.

It's definitely not an issue I've been encountering with how I use my phone (and I'm going to guess it's not a problem for a lot of other people)... and since I can't exactly figure out what your issue is the only possible solution I can thing of is playing around with the sensitivity of the 3D Touch under accessibility.

Conan86

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2012
Singapore
you can always choose to turn off 3D Touch or learn to tap lightly. Try changing the sensitivity of 3D Touch to hard

alcides11

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2007
Pittsbugh, PA
I have not had any of the issues you have described. I am not sure how you would not know if you are pressing too hard, so perhaps you have a bad phone. Have a friend that also has a 6s or 6s+ try your phone and you theirs.

Last edited:

JoeTomasone

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2014
It's a matter of retraining muscle memory. We are apparently used to pushing down with as much force as we liked to tap on items. Now, we simply need to retrain ourselves to use less for those old use cases.

I see this personally as being a non-issue in a few months once I get used to it.

Reactions: 5105973

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
I've always been used to just lightly touching anyway, so I didn't really notice any difference.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
I've always been used to just lightly touching anyway, so I didn't really notice any difference.

Same here, only thing I had to slightly learn was on deleting apps, but was simple to figure out. I guess some people used to press down hard which is causing issues.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Same here, only thing I had to slightly learn was on deleting apps, but was simple to figure out. I guess some people used to press down hard which is causing issues.

I can see why many would, especially if they used resistive screens a lot, too.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I think, if I'm understanding the post correctly, this has happened to me a few times. I just click on the link until it opens, which it does. I honestly don't find it bothersome enough to want to give the whole iPhone back. And pardon the expression, but I've just assumed I was hitting it wrong, i.e. User error on my part. Big fingers on a small screen...things don't always work the way I intended the first time. This is nothing new for me. Even on iPad I sometimes don't get a link to open the first time.

Most of the time I forget 3D touch is there and the iPhone works for me as it always has. I have to remind myself I can do some pretty cool things now that I could not do before.

elmateo487

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
To the OP a few others I have talked to are having the exact same issue. It is not a pressing problem. It is a registering of a tap problem.
And it mostly only happens in safari. You have to click links 2-3 times before one of them registers as a tap.

Note, there is no 3D Touch buzz happening when this happens. You tap the link 3 times, nothing happens, then if you are lucky one of them will register as a tap and the link will open.

elmateo487

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
It's a matter of retraining muscle memory. We are apparently used to pushing down with as much force as we liked to tap on items. Now, we simply need to retrain ourselves to use less for those old use cases.

I see this personally as being a non-issue in a few months once I get used to it.

This is not correct. This is a tap that we are doing. Not a 3D peek or pop. It is a tap and nothing happens besides the link highlighting.

Here, I included a video of what is happening. I show a bunch of taps, then a long press, then a 3d touch peek.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Oh goodness, no, I don't experience THAT. Whoa. What's going on there? Take it to the Genius Bar.

Shark5150

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2014
Dallas, Texas
This is not correct. This is a tap that we are doing. Not a 3D peek or pop. It is a tap and nothing happens besides the link highlighting.

Here, I included a video of what is happening. I show a bunch of taps, then a long press, then a 3d touch peek.

Something wrong there bro. Doesn't happen at all on mine

Serickmetz

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2013
Oregon
Proud to announce I mastered 3D Touch almost instantly and have zero issues whatsoever executing any multi touch gesture.

Good luck to you all who are having issues.

elmateo487

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
Something wrong there bro. Doesn't happen at all on mine

That's what I am saying. Something is obviously wrong. Lol.

This was the worst case I have had happen yet, lucky I got it on camera. Usually it's on the 3rd or 4th try that it will work.

And it seems to only happen with my thumb... Which sounds dumb, I know.

jkun

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2012
This happens to me sometimes, I think it's mainly a problem for those of us that like to tap the link a little too hard. I agree, it's kind of annoying sometimes since you have to tap extra light.

elmateo487

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
I just tried opening a link in Safari as well. Opened on the first press. Maybe try a reboot first, restore second, Genius bar third.

It works most of the time. But you can get the perfect press amount and width (like a thumb and not a finger) and it will not register it as anything.

sparkyms

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Southampton UK
I don't think this is a 3D Touch issue, I have the same problem and it occurs whether 3D Touch is on or not.

However, it seems I can open up links by a really swift tap on a link, it is usually only happening to me within apps, like WhatsApp and Facebook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.