3G - Cracks in Plastic Housing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dogheadboy, Jul 17, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Read a few posts about cracks already start to appear on the edge of the housing. The phone is only a week old (obviously) and was not dropped or pressed. Is it common?

Attached Files:

2. macrumors 6502a

that sucks bro...i have heard about it, mainly in the white though.

3. macrumors 601

jecapaga

Too early to tell how common it is. Take it back and get it replaced.

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

The phone is not mine. I order a white one, and suppose to it pick up on Monday.

NOW I'M NOT SO SURE.

As for the color. I think dirt in the crack make it easiler to be seen if it is white. So it could be as well happening for black too.

5. macrumors 6502a

I recall someone spotting cracks on their white iPhone the moment he took it out of the box at home. When he went back to the store they accused him of dropping it and wouldn't exchange it or something.

6. macrumors member

Thankfully I haven't gotten my phone yet. I was planning on getting the white one and I wouldn't have even thought of looking for stuff like that when actually buying the phone in store. When I do get it (most likely this weekend), I am going to make sure there isn't any of that **** on it. Thanks for the heads up guys!

7. macrumors 6502a

i was thinking the same thing

8. macrumors regular

Looks like a classical dropper to me, but who am I to tell ...

9. macrumors 65816

Andrew K.

hmmm I heard of a black one cracking when they put the headphone jack in but not on the white. Did you use a different jack? Don't worry Apple will understand if it gets worse and they will replace it :D just wait next month til everyone gets there phones

Also If you have Twitter I think the twitter Bird is trying to get out because it looks like an eggshell crack :eek: Oh no I just didn't!!! Waa Wa Waaaaa!

10. macrumors 6502

My white iPhone has cracks too - never dropped it, looks a lot like the OP's photos.

11. macrumors regular

guys i have the exact same problem, I have never dropped it either. my crack is near the silent switch, im going to try and take it back tomorrow.

12. macrumors 6502

Is it just me or does the right pic look like the chrome has a dent in it right near the crack? Kinda seems dropped or something.

13. macrumors 603

marksman

They always said Black Don't Crack!

Anyways, I think people should not put their iphones in their back pockets and sit on them.

14. macrumors newbie

Mine has the exact same thing, crack between the headphone and silent swtich, going to return it tomorrow, it's only a day old! :eek:

15. macrumors newbie

Me too

Cracks in my white one, too, and I did NOT drop it or sit on it. Apple had better resolve this quickly or it could get ugly. BTW, the white is BY FAR the nicest looking iPhone yet. But those cracks really show up bad, especially because the finish is so-far totally unscratched and as smooth as glass. (What looks like abrasions in the attached photo are actually just fingerprint smudges.)

Attached Files:

16. macrumors 6502

I just noticed it today, with this thread. My white one has a barely noticeble crack on the bottom. Never dropped - damn, never even went out with it, I'm still waiting for the damn invisible shield to come.

17. macrumors newbie

Invisible Shield

Pretty sure any plastic laminate won't keep these from cracking, and from what I gather about the material Apple is using in the backs of the 3G, it won't be needed to stop scratches either. I have had mine since 8:15 AM on the 11th and there is still not one scratch on the "plastic" back. I suspect it is NOT plastic. Various rumors around the 'net point to a ceramic and crystal coating material combination that is transparent to radio waves yet REALLY hard. I can see fine scratches in the metal Apple logo, but NONE on the white part.

Looks like what it needs is a china cabinet, though. Belt clips and hip pockets need not apply.

18. macrumors 6502a

Pretty sure that they even said the back is plastic during the keynote about it.

19. macrumors newbie

Plastic

You're right but maybe plastic in the generic sense. You've got to see this thing. Obviously you haven't been carrying one of these around for a week: NO scratches. That back (or at least the coating) is NOT plastic. Other evidence:

1. There was an Apple patent that was published a while back that WAS for a radio-transparent ceramic material for hand-held devices. You can look up the patent here: <http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=20060268528.PGNR.&OS=DN/20060268528RS=DN/20060268528>

2. The guy who blends everything on YouTube could not get the back to blend:
    <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLxq90xmYUs> Notice the shot about 1:45 in.

It may not be crack-proof, but it IS some unique kind of material.

20. macrumors 6502

albeli

Uh, mine has a few minor scratches from that infernally tight Sena case. It does scratch. It's plastic. Plastic scratches.

21. macrumors 6502

No doubt it scratches. It's not like the glass touch screen which won't scratch even with a razor. The back is a different story. I saw tons of scratches on the floor models' backsides. Don't put it in the same pocket as keys change or anything else metal or harder than plastic lol.

iPhone Pro will be made of titanium :eek:

22. macrumors member

I'm glad my white iphone doesn't have any cracks, but it does already have some scratches since I don't have a case for it, and will not have any either. My mind is at peace with scratches.

Although, with the white you have to look for the scratches, not that easy to spot.

23. macrumors regular

protekt0r

Yeah I noticed the crack in mine about 4-5 days ago. I most certainly did NOT drop the phone... the crack pretty much appeared out of nowhere. I believe the crack is beneath the glossy coating on the plastic because I can't feel it. Here's a pic.

[​IMG]

24. macrumors newbie

Then it WILL crack, just like the TiBooks. ::)

25. macrumors 6502

knome

Anyway to see if there is a crack on the black version?