Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
This past November, my daughter's 3G 20GB iPod died. No AppleCare, three weeks after warranty. According to our local Genius, it was a hard drive failure, as the iPod gets quite warm when you plug it in to charge, but there is no disk activity to hear and no display function.
Rather than spend $249 to get it repaired, we opted to get her the U2 model. Now I've got a mostly useless (won't play music, but at least it makes a good paperweight) 3G iPod sitting on my desk.
I also have a perfectly fine 4G in my pocket. Is the 3G battery compatible with a 4G? Even better, are there other, less expensive repair options out there to get this thing running again?

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
powermac666 said:
This past November, my daughter's 3G 20GB iPod died. No AppleCare, three weeks after warranty. According to our local Genius, it was a hard drive failure, as the iPod gets quite warm when you plug it in to charge, but there is no disk activity to hear and no display function.
Rather than spend $249 to get it repaired, we opted to get her the U2 model. Now I've got a mostly useless (won't play music, but at least it makes a good paperweight) 3G iPod sitting on my desk.
I also have a perfectly fine 4G in my pocket. Is the 3G battery compatible with a 4G? Even better, are there other, less expensive repair options out there to get this thing running again?

The harddrive is the most expensive part of the iPod, since its so much drive in such a little space. You could crack open the iPod, find the make and model of the drive, and order it yourself and put it in (do it yourself is usually cheaper when doing anything). Or ebay for a iPod with a dead battery. Then do a restore using the software and it should work. There is a battery service for the iPods from third parties, I would think there would be disk drive service too, to give the iPod a larger drive without buying a new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.