3G Ipod battery replacement - who did you use?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by raptor96, Nov 26, 2006.

1. raptor96 macrumors regular

So I've come to the point that I need to replace my Ipod's battery, and since I bought my Ipod literally 6 hours before the date it would have qualified for a free replacement (under the Ipod settlement) I have to replace at my own cost. Anyway I've done a lot of research and I found some good resources (for anyone else looking go: http://home.speedfactory.net/tcashin/ipodbattrep.htm ). Anyway I was looking at kokopelli music's batteries because they're lifetime guaranteed (if your battery fails ever they'll send you a new one for Shipping costs only) and it's a family business. I was wondering if anyone had any other recommendations or if you've used this company? Thanks!

2. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

Haven't heard of them. I used a Newer Tech battery in mine, worked great!

3. raptor96 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! Did you find that you got an increase in playtime as they all advertise (usually like 30%)? That's one thing I was really curious about.

4. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

My dad got a Newer Technology battery for his 1st Generation iPod. I'm sure it would work great, except we can't open the iPod!
    Sorry, it's a bit off topic, but does anyone who has opened up a 1st or 2nd Generation iPod have any tips? Thanks in advance.

5. raptor96 thread starter macrumors regular

Not to beat a dead thread but I wanted to tell anyone interested that I went with Kokopelli Music and I got my battery quickly and it came with some nice chocolate so that was a pleasant surprise to have as I worked on my iPod. The tools and instructions they gave were excellent (the tools superb and solid feeling, the directions clear though not florid - if you want that just google any other company's videos which can be had freely). And the guarantee that I can get another battery for like $6 forever is nice. So all in all whole-heartedly recommend Kokopelli Music for your battery replacement.

One caveat - when I charged and discharged my battery for the first time (I sprung for the high capacity one) it didn't go longer than the Apple play time, it went about 8.25 hrs and I think it's advertised to go ~30% longer...something to consider.

6. elizabeth123 macrumors newbie

kokopelli ipod battery review

I ordered a Kokopelli battery and now my Ipod doesn't work right. The battery doesn't last; after I charge it and it says it is fully charged, it will shut off in the middle of a song and say the battery is dead. Sometimes it won't turn on at all. I never had any problems until I installed their battery. Now I have to take my Ipod apart, send that battery back to them, pay for that shipping as well as the shipping to get a new battery. I should have sent it to Ipod/Apple instead of trying to save money.

7. 748s macrumors 6502a

748s

How to replace the battery
    http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ipod/battery/install-service/

8. LinuXtreme macrumors regular

LinuXtreme

I also bought a Newer Tech battery for my 3rd Gen (in November 2007). I installed it myself then gifted the iPod to my brother. He said that it seemed to have great life at first but then after a few months (and perhaps 15 cycles) it drains within a few days (turned off and unused) like the original battery had been doing. I didn't have the 3G all that long, so I don't know if that particular model happens to have a wicked vampire current drain(?) or what, but it seems to me that the iPod shouldn't be draining *that* quickly with a new battery. Not sure if I should blame the iPod or blame Newer Tech's battery...

9. Laura123 macrumors newbie

Try Juice

I just came across this thread - i'd have to give a thumbs up to ipodjuice (http:/www.ipodjuice.com) for ipod batteries. While not guaranteed for life, they guarantee them for ten years (which is pretty much the same thing, aint' it?!). Their instructions the sent with the tools and battery were spectacular, and i am a school teacher and pay close attention to details like spelling and grammar and i could't find one mistake in them. 10 out of 10 for the juice site.