3G iPod

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Jasonbot, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I guess it's still a little new to be a collectors item but I'm acquiring one next week sometime for about $140 equivelant with all the accessories; charger, dock, fw cable, pouch, remote. Not to sure about the box though.

So, is it a good buy? Am I getting ripped off?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Find out what the battery life is like...mine still has some life in it, but I know a few people who have 3Gs with tiny battery life...

Find out how scratched the back is...

3. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I have one - nice at the time. I bought it refurb so I don't have the original box.

The newer 5G ones refurb may be more worth your while...

4. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i recently bought one for $100. i think $140 is a bit steep - $120 is probably the most i'd pay.

5. blakespot Administrator

blakespot

The 3G iPod is not a thing of beauty.

blakespot

6. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

its my favourite ipod by a long way, but 140, that seems a little steep. I have 3 of them at the moment, one cost my £40 (around $80), another £30 (around $60) and the other i bought as a refurb from apple with a year's applecare for £100 (around $200). the one from apple had not a single scratch, a brand new battery and was amazing quality, and all 3 of them came with accessories.

7. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I'm going to enjoy the statemants from my friends about that one :D

Which mdel did you get and did you get any of the accessories with it?

8. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Whoa there! I love the 3G... ok a little bit sentimental as it was my first forray into the world of iPod and my entry into the Cult of Mac, but I still think its design is fantastic.

$140 isn't bad IMO. I bought a 3G 20 gigger two months ago for £75, so around $150. Boxed with all accessories, iSkin and iTrip. It's not in bad condition, but I'm sending it away to get a front and maybe back on it (its a little restoration project!).

Battery life isn't too bad, but I'm still going to have a new battery fitted. All in all getting and restoring a 3G iPod will set me back around £130 ($260).

9. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Why not just get a new iPod for that cost

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If all it needs is a new battery they are about £20 and reasonably easy to fit, but remember a new 30GB iPod is $249 (or £189) and comes with a bigger HD, colour screen, longer lasting battery and above all it is new.

11. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Because I already have a new iPod - one 80GB 5.5G-er, two nano's (although the 8GB nano may well be jettisoned) and a Shuffle. All have a use. This is a project for something that's going to be ultimately used half for music & audiobooks and half for photo storage on holiday for my DSLR. Cheaper than getting a dedicated storage device.

I can afford it and I want to restore a 3G. So why the hell not? Remember this is a Apple Collectors Sub Forum folks ;)

12. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

So I finally received my iPod, dubbed iFive as it's my fifth iPod, and wow. It rocks. The scratches are minimal, the accessories are all there and i got an iTrip! just got to test the battery now!

13. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Au contraire. The lighted buttons are a thing of beauty. :D

14. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

They are quite sexy!

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I agree. I'm still really happy with it. Although I never thought of it as a collector's item. There are way too many of them, in comparison to the relatively low volume first and second generations.

16. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Another agreeing nod here - I've always thought they looked very cool.
    I think they are heading towards collect-ability - at least good models - as it took a while to find a boxed 20 gigger in good condition. Most seem to have borked batteries or some other issue.
    And I'm happy to report that after some displex the front of my 3G is now immaculate! The back however is still proving to be a pain to recondition. Will keep brasso-ing away!

17. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i got a 3rd generation 20GB iPod for $100. it came with the original case (black with belt clip), dock, Firewire cable, Firewire wall charger, and a Vaja leather case. all in the original box.

18. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I wish I got the box :( But thats OK 'coz I got a dock and a remote with mine (15Gb) as well as that stuff you got...

19. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

When I got mine I was amazed at the amount of stuff they bundled with the 3G... I'd completely forgotten what a complete set up it was! The only thing I didn't like was the fact the the headphones were full length so you had this mass of unused cable if you wanted to use the remote. It's a shame that the iPods that came after got less and less bundled with them...

20. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

true the iPods today don't come with as much stuff, but you get more for your money. a 3rd gen 20GB iPod cost $400 - today you can get 4x the capacity for $50 less than that :eek:

21. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

I think I paid £240 for my first ever iPod (the 3G 20gigger) - around $480!
    It was just after they'd really started to take off, and I ended up getting it imported as it was cheaper... but you're right, as far as capacity and features go, things are pretty great at the mo.

Has anyone had any luck getting hold of any decent new cases for their 3G? Despite having the 20GB model, I'd still really like a Contour Showcase again. I've found an Otter case on ebay which is new, but that's about it... I'm not fussed about skins, but a good nice hard case would be nice...

22. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

this takes you to Contour's website where the 3rd gen Showcase cases are (link to US site).

23. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

I bought one as a collectors item. The box was opened, but it was brand new and never used. It is in immaculate condition. It's 10GB and came with the box, earbuds, cables, and software. I think I paid around $80, but that was an awesome deal. Just to give you an idea.

24. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

I think the 3rd gens were a work of beauty. I loved and used mine so much it doesn't work any more. I'm thinking about trading my 5th gen 30gb for one in decent shape.

25. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Well that seems like a rip off :eek: I doubt that would be worth it!