3G nano and OS not getting along...

Discussion in 'iPod' started by abledsoe, Dec 24, 2007.

1. macrumors newbie

I tried searching but my noobness prevented me from finding anything helpful.

I just bought my wife a new 3G nano for Christmas. She previously had a dead mini. She has a G4 Powerbook running 10.3.9. I know NOW that the new nano requires 10.4.8. What is my best option here? Her G4 is almost 5 years old and im not sure Leopard is the best bet for it. Tiger seems expensive for an older program (im only finding for around $150). Am I missing something? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

2. macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

How much RAM does it have? What speed is the G4?

Can you afford a new mac?

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

1 GHz PowerPC, 512MB RAM. Not going to be buying a new MAC anytime soon. I just bought a new PC laptop but she doesnt want it formatted through the PC as she uses her ipod at work which is all MAC.

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Is this an option....

If she sets up the new nano under my PC, then gets the Mac fixed or a new Mac can the new 3G nanos be reformatted for Mac? I understand doing so would probably lose all the data on it, but is that an easy option? Thanks again for the help.

5. macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Reformatting from Mac to PC or vice versa is indeed easy. FWIW, Macs can read/write PC-formatted iPods.