3G or Wifi Used by Default?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by olly666, Jun 19, 2010.

1. macrumors regular

olly666

If both are enabled... Which is used for data - browsing, etc?

2. macrumors 68020

Ntombi

Wifi.

3. macrumors 68000

lorenwade

WiFi, when available, always takes priority.

4. macrumors 6502a

scwinsett

iPhone automatically uses the fastest enabled setting, which is wifi 99% of the time

5. thread starter macrumors regular

olly666

Good to know. Thanks all.

6. macrumors 6502a

I may be reading your post wrong, but are you saying that there is a time when the iPhone will prioritize 3G over wifi?

7. macrumors 6502a

scwinsett

If you are having problems with your wifi, it will switch to 3G

8. macrumors member

unless you have wifi disabled, it will always take precedence.

9. macrumors regular

I was about to post this question as the salesperson in the Apple store told me the exact opposite (re: iPhone 4, if that makes a difference), that 3G is the default data source even when connected to wifi- they even said I would have to turn off 3G when connected to my home wifi so as to avoid running up data charges... were they wrong?

(The only other thing I asked about they were also wrong about after I checked back here... thank goodness for this site!)

10. macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Yep. The salesperson was wrong. (it happens)

Wifi automatically takes over for data use (surfing sending email, iTunes downloading, etc.) when connected. In my experience, the iPhone picks wifi EVEN when it is slower (my wifi router crashed, wouldn't switch to 3G until I turned wifi off in settings)

The only exception I've ever heard of is the diagnostic data the iPhone sends home to Apple. There were reports (on this forum) of that data being sent over 3G even when wifi was connected. (I can't confirm this as fact though)

Sean

11. macrumors 68020

i would even go as far as recommending to turn off 3G when youre in a wifi area. the battery usage saved will definitely help

12. macrumors member

I turn my 3G and cellular data off on my ip4 when I'm at home as I was 'mysteriously' being charged for mobile internet during times when I know I was at home. Since then I haven't had a problem - it is a pain in the a** to remember to keep doing it, but, at least I know I can surf with confidence in the privacy of my own home! :eek:

13. macrumors newbie

Hope this isnt too far off topic- I have a microcell and its signal seems to carry further than my wi fi, since the microcell routes through my DSL line, is there a data charge when connected through the microcell instead of wi fi ? :confused:

14. macrumors 6502

Negative. I've had issues lately where my cable internet just drags, and the iPhone stays connected.