Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LocoMoco

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
Iowa
Hi all. I am a newbie to macforums. So please be gentle on me. I did forgo on the iPad Wi-Fi and am patiently waiting for the Wi-Fi + 3g version of the iPad.

I was wondering what everybody's take on a couple of things:

1) on Apple reinstating the "reserve" option on the Apple website for pick-up at an Apple store like it was done for the iPad Wi-Fi version?

2) Is it perceivable to see a "launch day" type or more of a low-key, nonchalant approach, and we may just end up to seeing "now availble or now shipping" on Apple's website with no real indication to a 3g release date?

I am aware of the pre-order option and the free-shipping for this device. But I was hoping to experience a launch-day event and possibly do a camp-out. I would have done so for the Wi-Fi but really wanted to hold-out for the 3g version.

Thanks for your input.

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
I don't know about #1, but I'm sure they will make it into a launch day event. Maybe not as big as April 3, but I don't think you'll need to be worried about lack of crowds.:)

mcfadyen

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
Hi all. I am a newbie to macforums. So please be gentle on me. I did forgo on the iPad Wi-Fi and am patiently waiting for the Wi-Fi + 3g version of the iPad.

1) on Apple reinstating the "reserve" option on the Apple website for pick-up at an Apple store like it was done for the iPad Wi-Fi version?

Are you asking if they will reinstate the reserve option or have they already done this? If so, may change my plans too! If I can reserve and pick up in store, I'll hold off on my trip south to pick one up this evening! Any inside info on if you can pick up in store?

LocoMoco

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
Iowa
Are you asking if they will reinstate the reserve option or have they already done this? If so, may change my plans too! If I can reserve and pick up in store, I'll hold off on my trip south to pick one up this evening! Any inside info on if you can pick up in store?

Hi! Well, what I was trying ask wazz...In anybody's thoughts to whether Apple will reinstate the option to "reserve" for pick-up at the Apple store on the release date....:).

...I can see on Apples' website the option has not been implemented...

Nash Bridges

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2010
San Francisco
They aren't supposed to be doing in store pickups for pre-orders on the 3Gs. I don't think that there will be people sleeping outside overnight to get them. Your best bet would be to walk into an Apple store or a best buy at 2 or 3 in the afternoon on the 24th and just buy one.

D

DaveCT

Not yet

I was told yesterday by my rep in the store that they weren't allowed to reserve yet. Said it might change, though. He did extend the return date on a wifi model I bought on launch day.

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
Hi! Well, what I was trying ask wazz...In anybody's thoughts to whether Apple will reinstate the option to "reserve" for pick-up at the Apple store on the release date....:).

...I can see on Apples' website the option has not been implemented...

No, I don't see Apple doing this again. :)

LocoMoco

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
Iowa
If this is the case could loads of people not just preorder then on launch day if alot of those people dont turn up they will be screwing others who havent preordered and have queued for hours ?

Or is there a catch so the above doesnt happen.

What they did for the "reserve for in-store pickup" for the April 3rd lauch of the Wi-Fi version was this...

If one reserved ordered prior to April 3rd. ( before they terminated the the reserve option on Apples website ) One could pick-up their Wi-Fi iPad between 9am and 3pm on April 3rd. If you didn't show up to pick-up. Your reserve was then canceled and then will go back to stock and be available as first-come-first-served to anyone who wanted. Meaning anyone walking in and hoping that there was any instock and wanting to buy one.:eek:

The 3g was never offered as a "reserve". Only the Wi-Fi for the April 3rd launch. So now I ask...If anyone had any thoughts to wondering if Apple was going to do the same with the 3g version. But yes we are keeping in mind we still have no official 3G release date.

We also must to keep in mind. Pre-order was typically done on Apple.com you gave up a credit card number, and this was shipped to you. You will ultimately be charged just prior to your device being shipped.

If you "reserved" to pick-up at an Apple retail store. You paid when you picked-up your iPad on the "launch-day". In-which anyone who reseved one was only alotted a time frame to pick it up.

Cherimoya

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2008
NJ
If this is the case could loads of people not just preorder then on launch day if alot of those people dont turn up they will be screwing others who havent preordered and have queued for hours ?

Or is there a catch so the above doesnt happen.

No catch. - in fact I had reserved two but only picked up one. While you were in line a store employee with a Macbook Air checked my name on the list and what I ordered. She just changed the entry in the database and presumably released the other one for someone in the other line. I guess if I hadn't turned up at all, they would have had to have waited till 3pm to release them. It was all very well organized and I would certainly pre reserve again.

bosox2009

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2009
No catch. - in fact I had reserved two but only picked up one. While you were in line a store employee with a Macbook Air checked my name on the list and what I ordered. She just changed the entry in the database and presumably released the other one for someone in the other line. I guess if I hadn't turned up at all, they would have had to have waited till 3pm to release them. It was all very well organized and I would certainly pre reserve again.

Thanks for the measured and succinct response! This clarifies my concerns (better) as well.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
They have released a shipping date of the 23rd to customers who have pre-ordered. So the 24th is a safe bet. This is for US consumers only.

I missed that. Last I heard, the shipping date of the 23rd was a rumor started by some guy who heard it from a guy who heard it from a guy who thought he overheard his boss at MacMall say it.

Perhaps you have updated info?

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY

i hope but it isnt looking good :(
2) Is it perceivable to see a "launch day" type or more of a low-key, nonchalant approach, and we may just end up to seeing "now availble or now shipping" on Apple's website with no real indication to a 3g release date?

i can see maybe a small release day thing
I am aware of the pre-order option and the free-shipping for this device. But I was hoping to experience a launch-day event and possibly do a camp-out. I would have done so for the Wi-Fi but really wanted to hold-out for the 3g version.

Thanks for your input.

answers in bold

nasa25

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2010
canada
What they did for the "reserve for in-store pickup" for the April 3rd lauch of the Wi-Fi version was this...

If one reserved ordered prior to April 3rd. ( before they terminated the the reserve option on Apples website ) One could pick-up their Wi-Fi iPad between 9am and 3pm on April 3rd. If you didn't show up to pick-up. Your reserve was then canceled and then will go back to stock and be available as first-come-first-served to anyone who wanted. Meaning anyone walking in and hoping that there was any instock and wanting to buy one.:eek:

The 3g was never offered as a "reserve". Only the Wi-Fi for the April 3rd launch. So now I ask...If anyone had any thoughts to wondering if Apple was going to do the same with the 3g version. But yes we are keeping in mind we still have no official 3G release date.

We also must to keep in mind. Pre-order was typically done on Apple.com you gave up a credit card number, and this was shipped to you. You will ultimately be charged just prior to your device being shipped.

If you "reserved" to pick-up at an Apple retail store. You paid when you picked-up your iPad on the "launch-day". In-which anyone who reseved one was only alotted a time frame to pick it up.

Your use of periods in the middle of sentences is somewhat interesting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.