3G signal strength

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by logicpro7, Jul 16, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502a

Why does the 3G iPhone have a poor signal strength reading?

I have my 3G and my wife's 2G iPhone here next to me and her phone has a full 5 bar signal compared to 2 bars on my 3G?

Both phones are on o2.

2. macrumors 6502a

vandozza

maybe the 3G tower is further away than the 2G tower? (that is as long as your 3G iphone is connected to a 3G signal, and your wife's iphone is connected to a 2G signal)

3. macrumors 6502a

This is a GLOBAL issue that is beginning to generate significant momentum, check out this Apple Discussion thread http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1602608&tstart=0 .

I have purchased a black iPhone 3G 16GB, I live in a part of London, UK that apparently has superb 3G and my reception is patchy, sporadic and downright poor, to the point where I've given up and turned 3G off. I love the product but there is something - hopefully software/firmware related - seriously amiss here.

Vanilla

4. macrumors 6502a

vandozza

carrier updates here we come :)

hopefully just software and not hardware!

5. macrumors 6502a

That is what I'm praying for...must admit I'm a little concerned as my 14-day return period is ticking away and I've already 'bonded' with the darn thing...sigh.

Vanilla

6. macrumors 6502a

vandozza

i wonder if apple has "underclocked" the 3G reception to deal with heat related issues, much like they have done with graphics cards in the imac's!

i know nothing about how cellphones work and even if it's possible, but as much as i like apple, ive gotta admit this is a possibility :( (until i'm told otherwise by someone more knowledgeable in the area!)