3G - sorry if this has been asked.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MRU, Jan 14, 2007.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I was reading a lousy report today in the Irish Times or Independant when they tore to pieces the iPhone because

1. it had a querty keyboard for text input (hey claimed teenagers are used to the 1/abc type input ; obviously missing the point that this is not aimed at pay as you go teenagers :rolleyes:

2. they also claimed it wasnt 3G compatible ? And stated that it will fail in Europe because it lacked this. 3G being fairly common here with companies like O2 & Vodafone offering 3G internet cards for laptops for a fixed monthly fee.

Now I could have sworn it was ? Does anyone know ?

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

It is not 3G but steve did say in his keynote that future versions will indeed be 3G.

I hope that by Q4 when it is slated to be released over here they add 3G.

3. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

No 3G.

However, by Q4 when it comes to launch over here I think it's quite likely a 3G version will be available - given that EDGE isn't very widespread.

Not that any of the Gen 1 iPhone's features really require 3G - it's not like there's OTA music purchasing or anything.

4. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Thanks guys. So EDGE is that American only ? Never heard of it over here at all.

I suspect your right though, we have another 10-12 months before it reaches these shores so i'm sure they will add 3G support.

5. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

EDGE is around in Europe, but most operators just went straight to 3G. EDGE enhances data rates on GSM so they're only about 100kbps off 3G, a nice bump from the 50kbps-odd speeds on standard GPRS. EDGE does not require a new network infrastructure like 3G (WCDMA/UMTS in Europe) does, so I'd imagine the massive geographical coverage required in the USA makes EDGE good economic sense.

3G support on the iPhone should ideally come with a forward facing camera for video calling... but it's quite possible they could just add in 3G for the data speeds. However, integrating 3G often results in a hit on battery life - not only is the phone powering both the GSM and 3G modules but the phone often switches between the two modes as coverage is still not what it should be.

6. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah come to think of it my two 3G phones i've had in the last 18 months both suck for battery life.

Thanks for the explanation its very much appreciated :)

7. Annndy! macrumors regular

Annndy!

My last phone was a 3G phone, one of the first to utilize the new service here in the US. Let's just say they've got a long way to go as far as 3G service coverage goes here (and I live in a major metropolitan area). However, when it did work, I loved it.

8. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Nope. We have GPRS, EDGE, 3G and HSDPA all over South Africa:) :cool:

9. MacCheetah3 macrumors 6502

Hi
    Exactly. WCDMA is probably at least two years but i'd guess even longer in the US [for widespread coverage]. UMTS and other 3G data coverage is only in 63 major US cities and probably only certain places within those cities, that's a very small coverage area and will likely take two years to become worthwhile putting such in a phone ( coverage wise ).

Over the pond, it's certainly arguable but I don't see Apple upgrading the iPhone that early...I could be mistaken though.

Put simply...The GSM + EDGE was a good idea, especially since the iPhone jumps to a Wi-Fi network automatically whenever possible.

10. kashimo macrumors member

kashimo

In Japan most phones are 3G and GSM. When I go back to the states my phone automatically searches for the US service provider and changes over to GSM.

I think that 3G is very important to tapping Europe and specifically Japan.
    The iPhone made some news in Japan but it was not as hot as in the US or maybe Europe. The iPhone lacks much of the technology we expect in a basic phone. No Video chat, No TV receiver, No Direct Music Download charged to service bill, No Video Camera, Not Bilingual (most phones in Japan can do both Japanese and English), No Emoji (cute graphics that take the place of words or phrases).

In Japan this applies to everyone. SMS is a standard communication on trains as it is rude to actually talk on the phone. Also people in companies will SMS so that they have a record of what was discussed. In Japan 1 = the first column of Hiragana. There are only 10 columns in Japanese so you need the 10 keys plus * and # (* = Emoji list # =non-letters). With a keyboard there is an extra step in typing. Type in romaji (alphabet) and then spacebar. Japanese suck (adults as well) at typing but are awsome at SMS (adults as well).

It will be sold on the Softbank network in Japan but it will have to make major inroads to take down phones already available that can do many of the things the iPhone can do.

I want an iPhone but it just doesn't seem that "high-tech" and "revolutionary past the interface. It has a very long way to go until it can really "re-invent" the mobile in Japan.

11. mrcelery macrumors newbie