Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kalirob99

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 24, 2008
California
I am tossed up between the two, as what are the positives and negatives of each. A big plus for me would be it being low on system resources. Any suggestions for people out there with experience or thoughts on the two programs would be much appreciated.

studmule

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2010
Both will let you use Facetime over 3G. From what I've read about Facebreak, that's all it will do. 3G Unrestrictor will trick almost any app to think it's on Wifi, when you're actually on 3G.

philip in al

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
I can't vouch for 3g Unrest, but Facebreak has always worked like a charm for me.

FB works on 4.1

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
i have 3GU and it has always worked flawlessly.. one thing you might want to consider is that right now with ios 4.1 3GU does not work. my3g works and i am not to sure about facebreak. i would recommend getting 3GU, because like the above poster stated, it works for all apps. gl.

SDub90

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Long Island
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

bmms8 said:
i have 3GU and it has always worked flawlessly.. one thing you might want to consider is that right now with ios 4.1 3GU does not work. my3g works and i am not to sure about facebreak. i would recommend getting 3GU, because like the above poster stated, it works for all apps. gl.

Unrestrictor has worked we for me on 4.1. I always turn it off with sbsettings whenever I'm not using it.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Unrestrictor has worked we for me on 4.1. I always turn it off with sbsettings whenever I'm not using it.

im sorry i totally misguided you... it does not work with receiving facetime calls.. you are right it works, but when getting FT calls it has not worked for me and others at all.

fsck-y dingo

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
can you confirm that 2.3.1-1 is the latest update? and this works 100%?

It wasn't 100% with version 2.3 but the current update, 2.3.1-1, has been submitted to fix the incoming 3G call failure. I haven't tested it out but I'd be willing to bet it works fine now.

I decided to try My3G a few days ago and I like it so I haven't bothered testing the most recent 3G Unrestrictor release.

Follow this link and scroll down a little until you see "Change Log". Click there to read about changes right from the developer.

http://www.kstreich-dev.com/m/apps/JB/3G_Unrestrictor/

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
It wasn't 100% with version 2.3 but the current update, 2.3.1-1, has been submitted to fix the incoming 3G call failure. I haven't tested it out but I'd be willing to bet it works fine now.

I decided to try My3G a few days ago and I like it so I haven't bothered testing the most recent 3G Unrestrictor release.

Follow this link and click, scroll down a little and click on "Change Log" to read it right from the developer.

http://www.kstreich-dev.com/m/apps/JB/3G_Unrestrictor/

thanks for that link, i saw it before and the latest release doesnt seem to be on there, but i think it does work.. i live in an edge only area, but i FTed myself from my mbp and this time my iphone got the call even though it cant connect due to connection speed. so i think all in all it does work :)

fsck-y dingo

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
thanks for that link, i saw it before and the latest release doesnt seem to be on there, but i think it does work.. i live in an edge only area, but i FTed myself from my mbp and this time my iphone got the call even though it cant connect due to connection speed. so i think all in all it does work :)

That's good to hear! I have paid licenses from all three packages mentioned here. I started off with 3G Unrestrictor but at the time the incoming 3G calls were failing. I waited a few days and then I tried Facebreak which is great but I wanted a single all-in-one app. So, having an impatient moment, I got My3G and have settled on that for now. At least I have options going forward. :)

this is funah

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Berlin, Germany
I've been using 3GUnrestrictor and since the last update, it's been working beautifully on 4.1 on all applications including facetime... i highly recommend it.

kalirob99

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 24, 2008
California
Alright thanks everyone. I'll try out both for a few days and see which works best for me. 3G Unrestrictor might be best, so I can go over the app store limit also. Though that might not be that important lol, I'll see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.