3gb of ram dual channel in macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macman2790, Nov 13, 2006.

1. macman2790 macrumors 6502a

macman2790

Is the 3gb of ram in the core 2 duo macbook pro dual channel, which means the chipset supports intel flex memory technology? If not is getting 3gb sacrificing a lot of power just to have more memory intensive apps running? Can someone with 3gb of ram in their c2d mbp give some kind of benchmarks?

thanks in advance.

2. macman2790 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macman2790

thanks man

also if i add a 2nd 2gb chip later(i know that the mbp will only recognize 3gb) will it work?

3. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

That link to barefeats mentions a near future test of that exact scenario.
    Stay tunend.......

4. macman2790 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macman2790

now i see, just finished reading it

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The short answer is: Yes, the MBP's chipset supports Intel Flex Memory Technology, so you will be able to take advantage of asymmetric dual-channel mode.

7. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Dual channel gives very small improvement in performance. You are better off spending that extra cost of 2X2GB memory, which is more than enough to buy an entire MacPro, and hire a butler to carry it and the car batteries around with you.

8. andrewheard macrumors regular

Does the C2D iMac support Flex Memory? I'd bump up to 1.5GB if it did.

9. JAT macrumors 603

"Dual channel" is not the issue. These boards are dual channel regardless of matching ram or not. The issue is interleaving, which has much less effect on speed of anything. And that only matters on the models with integrated graphics. As the barefeats article pointed out on the MBP.

10. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

My understanding is that the iMac, MBP and MB all use flavors of the 945 chipset, so they all would support Intel Flex Memory Technology

Asymmetric Dual Channel mode under Intel Flex Memory Technology means that you will have interleaving up to the capacity of the smaller stick. You would obviously then have single-channel mode through the remainder of the larger stick.

11. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

So the macbook with 2x2GB would make more sense then (if the cost wasn't so prohibitive). OK so there is wasted RAM but it was all be paired up correctly.

I'm guessing this is why they don't advertise the macbook as being able to handle 3GB (because that would mean no symmetry in the memory).

12. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

No, they advertise the MacBook as not being able to handle 3 Gb because it doesn't recognize 3 Gb. Apple Page

Apple is quite clear in that document that the architecture of the MBP C2D and MB C2D are different

They are also clear that the CoreDuo machines and the MacBook C2D require 2 x 512 or 2 x 1 Gb to implement dual channel - whereas they say nothing yea or nay about the MacBook Pro C2D. The implication by omission is that the MBP C2D will do asymmetric dual channel, but they don't come out an say it.

13. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Different memory controller?