3rd Apple store in Seattle-area?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jxyama, Oct 1, 2004.

1. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i saw a store front under construction with an apple.com cover in westfield shoppingtown southfield mall in tukwila, WA. if this is indeed an upcoming apple store, it would be the third one in the seattle-metro area: university square, bellevue and now, tukwila.

considering, for example, chicago, a town that's 6 times larger than seattle, has two stores nearby (michigan ave. and schaumburg), i'm a bit confused as to why seattle needs another one..?

(then of course, detroit, a city of less than a million, has two in the area - novi and troy - so maybe it goes with the purchase pattern rather than sheer population numbers?)

any other city with three apple stores nearby?

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Miami would be one.

Aventura and The Falls are in Miami and there is a 3rd store on the way, but Boca Raton and Wellington Green aren't that far away. (Far is a relative distance.)

Considering all the people in the state of Washington who were concerned about the dearth of stores in near them, they should be jumping for joy now.

I'm somewhat surprised at the concentration of stores in some locations and the lack of stores in others.

3. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i'm still waiting for the one in brainetress MA. so i don't have drive to cambringe (btw i'm here right now bitching about my ipod and pb)

4. jxyama thread starter macrumors 68040

jxyama

unfortunately, canada is too small of a market, spaced way too far apart... for many die-hard canadian fans, apple would probably tell them to just hop the border and visit one in WA, MN, MI, NY, etc. :p

the next logical international destination is london, paris, now that japan is covered, i'd think...

5. earthtoandy macrumors 6502

theres a very good reason... and its probably that the seattle area is a bigger customer base.. or potential customer base. simple as that.

6. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Why the hell can't we get one in New Orleans, Louisiana?

7. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

I was told that an Apple Store would go in at the Alderwood Mall in Lynnwood to accompany the mall's expansion.

8. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

that doesn't make any sense. seattle and vancouver both have similar populations. If they can put THREE in the seattle area, then i think one in the greater vancouver area wouldn't be ridiculous. We don't all live in 2 mile apart log cabins up here in the great white north.

Also, toronto, while a crappy city is even bigger than vancouver, so an apple store should go there before seattle gets its third.

besides, the drive from lynnwood to downtown seattle isn't that long.

9. HeyMAC macrumors newbie

HeyMAC

I live in seattle and noticed the apple logo where the wizard of the coast shop was. I wish they would have put downtown instead of southcenter. But hey we got 3. I think apple is trying invade in on microsoft turf. No complaints here.

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

There will never be Apple stores below sea level. :p

As far as Japan goes, there still needs to be something in Hiroshima or Fukuoka.

11. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

:(

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

pssst...they'll use the 2nd and 3rd floors. :)

13. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I think a good location would be in Kirkland, Washington - along highway 520, just a bit west of I-405.

Let's see if any of you PNW-ers know why I picked that spot. And no, it's not because of Dixie's. :D

14. dontmatter macrumors 6502a

Well, I can tell you. I live within walking distance of the University Village Apple store. You're answer is: TRAFFIC.

From tukwila, there are days it would be faster to drive to portland and back.

15. jxyama thread starter macrumors 68040

jxyama

i doubt that. ;)

DC/northern Va/Baltimore area is bigger than Seattle area and is notorious for having awful traffic. the capital beltway is in rush hour practically from 6am to 11am and then 3pm to 7pm. i've seen some traffic in seattle, but it's nothing like in DC/NoVa/Baltimore area...

i guess we'll wait and see if several apple.com storefront banners will really become apple stores... it could just be an expensive advertisement, but i doubt that too. :D

16. HeyMAC macrumors newbie

HeyMAC

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

At least it'd be closer than Bellevue (or Lynnwood) for me, but why not one in Tacoma? Best we have is a CompUSA for Mac stuff. Almost better to go to Portland. No tax, and a pleasant drive when there's no traffic, but sometimes the gas spent isn't worth it.

18. HeyMAC macrumors newbie

HeyMAC