3rd gen iPod or 4th gen iPod

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Joeytpg, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Joeytpg macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

guys, i don't know about you but i really like the 3rd gen iPod design a lot more than de new 4g ..............the design it's cooler, to me that grey wheel looks cheap........i really really like the 3rd gen.

of course that's just the design cuz the specs on the 4g are better (duh, it's improved) but design wise.......which one you like best?

2. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

I never liked the design of the 3G iPod. When the mini came out I liked the click wheel a lot more, so I was happy when it ended up on the 4G iPod.

3. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

4G, hands down. I love the look of the 3G, but the 4G's click wheel is so awesome I can get past the ugly gray color.

I bought a RadTech PodSleevz to stave off the scratches, and now I don't even see the ugly grey wheel anymore :)

4. Joeytpg thread starter macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

i don't know....that ugly wheel....i hate it.......the design (based on the possition of the control buttoms it's good.......it's a bit easier....but the 3g had an amazing design too.........i'd like it better if the buttons on the 4g were like the 3g all in white, including the wheel..........plus the red lighting on the play, stop, FW, RW buttons like the 3g

that would've been amazing

5. morkintosh macrumors regular

I'll echo the general sentiment here: the 4th gen wheel by far it's most attractive feature, and puts it ahead of the 3rd gen. Also consider that the 4th gen is an architectural overhaul, allowing for some potentially cool add ons that you can't have with a 3rd gen.

6. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

Nobody has mentioned battery life-- my 3G is marketed at 8 hours, but if you change songlists/ switch artists much at all its more like 5. The new one is marketed at 12-- so it probably gets 9 if you spin the hard drive a moderate amount-- that's a huge advantage. Also, the non-tactile capacitor switches on the 3G are a pain b/c you have to look at the ipod to make sure your touch registered-- the click wheel averts this. Id get the 4G unless you get a huge price break.

7. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

The 3G iPod was really a step in the wrong direction, from a design point of view. Moving the controls away from the scrollwheel was akward and counterintuitive, and cutting the battery life in favor of a slimmer design was downright stupid (and we all know Apple got a lot of grief about that).

The 4G 'Pod really just fixes all of the design problems with the 3G. I think the Click Wheel is really a big deal for Apple, because it sets the iPod apart again by making the interface as intuitive as possible.

8. Joeytpg thread starter macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

well not me.........i really really like the 3gen ipod................even more than the 4g. which i don't like at all ( design wise)

9. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

The 4G!!!! Easy decision. My wife and I have had every gen of iPod and the 4G's are the BEST (though it has taken me a little while to believe that b/c I was very attached to my old 20GB 2G iPod)! In my opinion the 3G's were the worst! I hated the 3G iPod and actually found myself leaving it at home sometimes (which I have never done with any of my other iPods). The 3G's were the most difficult to navigate one-handed while doing other things....which made it very inconvenient to use. The 3G's are in the past now. Buy what Apple is offering as it's current iPod.

10. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

I agree. I had a 4G Pod for a short while, but promptly got shot of it and stuck with my 3G. Sure, the battery life is a big plus for most but it's not something that I need, so thankfully, I don't have to suffer that cheap looking wheel. That was a seriously bizarre design decision from Apple.

It's not just a case of aesthetics though: I didn't like the way that the new click-wheel felt under my fingers either. The scroll was actually very nice, and maybe a little better than the 3G, but the buttons were really clunky and made a horrible, cheap popping noise when depressed. Overall, in terms of looks and feel, the 4G doesn't have the grace and sophistication of the 3G. I agree that the click-wheel is the way to go, but they need to refine it somewhat and revert to a white wheel before I'll cough up again.

Of course, much as I hate the little buggers, I'd still buy a 4G iPod above any other portable music player on the market if my 3G packed up.

11. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

4th gen takes all...Go all the way and never look back!

12. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

How about a 1G or a 2G? 10 hour battery life (I get 8 out of my 1G) and 10GB is quite a bit of space. I've only got 3.6GB total, so my 1G is a tad bit full.......not too bad though, for something that old.

13. Joeytpg thread starter macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

it's just aesthetics......the wheel looks cheap on the 4g...that horrible grey color......i really like the click wheel....it's more confortable if you're trying to navigate with one hand.....that's true. But it looks cheaper.

The 3g looks more sophisticated, more APPLE-like with the Red lighting buttons (Play/Stop, |>> <<|, MENU) overall i really like the 3g better.

but like i said to me the 4g would have been the greatest thing in the world if the click wheel would have looked like the buttons on the 3g with the red light and the - WHITE - scroll wheel but in the same possition as in 4g (the four of em around the click-wheel, for easy one-hand use)

i'm just talking about looks, not functionality................'cause of course the 4g's gonna be better.... it's improved........and the battery life and all...........so my opinion is only look-wise.

if my 3g f*cks up of course i'd get a 4g, but....i'm really happy i bought my 3g iPod. (and the irony of it all is that i got my 3g 2 weeks before the 4g introduction, i just didn't know that they were about to release the 4g's so i was in U.S. on vacation and decided to buy it (here in Dominican Republic they're too expensive), and if i'm lucky that i STILL like the 3g better, cause if not i'd have been knocking my head on the table! :p)