3rd Party Airport card questions.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sawtoothdude, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Sawtoothdude macrumors regular

hello i have a lime green iBook clamshell and i am trying to get wireless on it without having to spend alot on an airport card. I have a Dell Truemobile 1150 wireless card and an orinoco WaveLAN gold card that when i put into the airport port they are recognized as airport cards with the firmware 9.52 . the iBook sees them as airport cards and will scan and find networks but will not connect to them.
    Is it possible the OS X 10.3.9 Airport drivers arent working or is there a way to flash one of those cards with actual Airport card Firmware.
    Please respond to this because i would really like to get this Laptop wireless.

2. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

3. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

The OP doesn't seem to be looking for a replacement but a way to use his Dell card w/ his iBook.

:confused:

4. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

They have a buybackprogram for wireless cards that your don't use but still work - you have to call them though:D

5. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Is the antenna cord connected to the wireless card? I believe those Dell and orinoco cards have large outside shells that need to be stripped down to get to the antenna port.

6. Sawtoothdude thread starter macrumors regular

yes i have it plugged in but i beleive it is a matter of software because none of the connections actually go out to the web. the routers i am testing it with are working as i have tested them with a PC. Is there a way to flash the orinoco or dell with apple airport firmware?

7. Sawtoothdude thread starter macrumors regular

does anyone know where i can download an old version of Airport software so that one of these cards may work?