3rd Party Front Row Remote?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by TaKashMoney, Mar 2, 2006.

1. TaKashMoney macrumors 6502

Hey, I have a question and would love an answer to it. As I'm sure many other people have done, I have installed Front Row on a machine not technically designed for it. It is running wonderfully! But I miss not having the remote! Does anyone know of any 3rd Party (perhaps USB) devices that have a remote and receiver that I can program to work with front row? Thanks for the responses.

2. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

you can use your cell phone if it has bluetooth

but installing an illegal copy of a program is something that we shouldn't be talking about here

versiontracker would be a good bet to find that phone thing.

3. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

Not that you'd want to use it for an illegal Front Row installation, but Keyspan used to do a Digital Media Remote that mapped the remote buttons to Key strokes, so any app that you can control with keyboard shortcuts, you can control with the remote. I think that model is now called an iTunes remote, but it may well still be generally configurable to work with other apps.

4. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

well, there's a hack for the griffin airclick that works, but it sucks (the remote and the hack). i definitely wont recommend it.

what i don't get is why the hell apple can't release front row and a remote for computers not so-equipped. would it be so hard to put a cd, ir usb dongle and a remote in a box and wicked overprice it so us with older macs (bought last october :rolleyes: ) could get in on it? seriously, to have that kind of functionality, i would pay $100 :eek: are you listening apple?!?

5. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

6. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

That is an AWSOME suggestion, answered a question I had,

I'm gonna get me one of those thangs

TODAY!

7. nw43 macrumors regular

If you have got a BT phone or similar device, I can recommend Salling Clicker

I don't actually have Front Row but this program is great for controlling other apps such as iTunes, DVD Player, EyeTV etc from your phone. I believe you can then download scripts for use with other programs, including Front Row.

8. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I love frontrow on my new iMac duo core, so much so that I did install it in my mac mini and ibook with the hack. New stream feature works great. keep all my stuff on my imac and then play it in a different room on my ibook etc..

Funnily my ibook G4 800mhz seem's to be smoother than my mac mini 1.42?

ATI Remote Wonder works well with it too.

I've just sold my mac mini to a friend so I can buy a new duo core....

10. wasimyaqoob macrumors 6502a

I dont know why Apple didnt just make the Remote through Bluetooth rather than IR!

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Because it's a crafty way of making you upgrade. Dangle a carrot in front of a donkey I guess :)

12. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

$50 for the Keyspan IR remote? Ouch. Granted it does have quite a few buttons. Still I would think that you could get a basic BT remote for around $50 given you can get descent BT mice for that. Anyone know of such a product (other than salling clicker for those of us who have to wait 2 years to upgrade phones :rolleyes: )

13. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac