3rd party memory Kahlon

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by iSaint, Aug 10, 2004.

1. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

It's here and running, I'm a switcher. Such a nice piece of equipment, you can really tell Apple is putting out quality products. From the packaging all the way to the unit itself it breathes quality.

I have one issue however. The day I ordered my iBook, I ordered a 512 memory stick from Kahlon based on a friend's advice of buying the cheapest memory possible. I installed it before I even turned on the iBook for the first time following the detailed instructions on the Apple web site. It was fairly simple.

BUT, the iBook is only reading it as a 256 stick. The label on the stick clearly reads 512. The computer is showing a total of 512mb of memory.

Has anyone had experience with Kahlon memory?

Of course, I haven't called Kahlon yet. I'm at work and I haven't been able to troubleshoot. Just curious if anyone has Kahlon memory. I'll check it out further when I have more time to play with my iBook tonight!

thanks
    Mac Rumors rocks!

2. SolidGun macrumors 6502

SolidGun

I would say you made a mistake of buying the cheapest RAM on the market on your friend's advice for your iBook.
    I look for quality and compatibility before price tag, but that's just me.
    Have you tried placing the memory in another unit? Also, it could have been mislabeled. I have never heard of Kahlon...can you put a link to the place where you bought it?

3. iSaint thread starter macrumors 603

iSaint

link

Kahlon

My friend is a CSI graduate, and is reliable with his info.

I paid $97 for the stick. Most I found were $130 or more. I have emailed Kahlon's customer service to see what their response will be. Order placement was easy and shipment was quick, so I have no reason to believe Kahlon is questionable.

thanks

4. iSaint thread starter macrumors 603

iSaint

update

I spoke to Kahlon customer service, and they told me to use a pencil eraser on the contacts of the memory and reinstall. I did this twice to no avail.

Another call today...

The web site says they have been in business 15 years so it would seem they are solid.

5. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

When you purchased this RAM, did you use their "Memory Configurator" to select the proper RAM for your iBook? If not, then you got equally spec'd RAM, but it's not "certified" to work in an iBook, and that might be causing you issues (it does to many). If you did, then I have absolutely no idea! That's a bizarre circumstance that the machine is only recognizing 1/2 of the module.

6. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

I might have an idea why it doesn't work. The memory is cut in half, 256 mb on one side and 256 mb on the other side and it isn't linked with each other. More expensive Ram is linked to each other! It is like you have two sticks of 256 mb in one slot. Your iBook probably reads the memory only from one side. Some computers can handle that, some don't. I have heard it with more computers, never with Apples do.