3rd party memory on Alu MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by showkati, Dec 17, 2008.

1. macrumors regular

Sep 11, 2007
    Cupertino, California
    Hey everyone

I was thinking about upgrading my memory for my 2gb aluminum MacBook using 3rd party brands, but i heard some reports of 3rd party memories being unstable in these new models.

I don't want to pay for apple's memory because frankly they are a rip off. If anyone has upgraded with 3rd party memory please tell if you have experienced anything negative after putting it in.

apologies if this is a repeat thread. if you guys have any links to the older posts please post.
  2. macrumors 68040

Oct 18, 2008
    Actually, Apple's price for DDR3 is not that bad.. It's actually pretty good deal..
    But anyway, I don't think the problems are brand specific.. I've seen people use Crucial without any problems, and other with problems... I would hold off a little bit before buying if you don't want to buy from Apple, and see if some of these issues go away...
  3. macrumors 68000

Oct 8, 2008
    Area 51
    Crucial is what I plan on going with..
    Ive been curious if the problem really is with the memory or if its the machine..
  4. macrumors member

Oct 15, 2008
    Apple's $150 price for 4GB where you don't get to keep the 2GB is not a good price at all. And you can only get it when you order it.

Crucial and OWC are floating around $100 right now, give or take, and you get to keep the 2GB.

I still have not heard a definitive answer regarding 10.5.6 fixing the ram issue on the Macbooks. My finger is floating above the buy button on OWC's website for more ram for this thing.