3rd party RAM?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by rikers_mailbox, May 20, 2004.

1. rikers_mailbox macrumors 6502a

Ok, so I'm buying a 12" pb that's on sale at my school, but it only comes with the standard 256MB of RAM, and I really wanted to get more than that. (we all know how Macs hog RAM)

My question is:
    Is it risky and/or hard to upgrade memory after I purchase the machine?
    What kind of memory is best to use?

Please give me your thoughts on this.
    -rik

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

No it's not risky, buy from crucial.com; and please, do a search, this question is asked many times every single day...:rolleyes:

3. rikers_mailbox thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know, I know. It's probably in some FAQ somewhere. . . it's easier to just ask.

thanks for replying.

4. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

3rd Party? Apple doesn't even make their own RAM (among a bunch of other things). They do use Samsung RAM a lot though. Crucial's another sure bet.

As for your 12" PB, there's the built-in 256MB and 1 open slot. The best move is to get a 512MB stick from Crucial.com (use the memory selector) and forget about it.

5. rikers_mailbox thread starter macrumors 6502a

'3rd Party' meaning not installed by Apple. Why pay apple premium if i can do it myself for cheaper?

Thanks for the Crucial tip (bad pun intended). that's exactly what i was looking for. Now i just need to decice between a Combo or Superdrive. Ah, one of life's toughest decisions.