3T backup drive questions

Discussion in 'Mac Peripherals' started by brn2rnjk1, Dec 27, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

Need to buy a backup drive for new 3T iMac. I have read the suggestions here but still confused? Seems LaCie 3T may have a bug on speed? So WD? (and which).

ALso, should I wait a bit? Are there new types that will run faster coming out? I have one backup to the cloud, and can still get a little mileage out of my old external HD?

Thanks.

2. macrumors 68040

MCAsan

My Time Capsule has a Seagate 3TB drive that works just fine.

LaCie does not make drives. In their enclosures they use drives from Seagate, WD, tc. My LaCie thunderbolt enclosures use Seagate 3TB drives.

3. macrumors newbie

I would strongly recommend against buying anything from WD. My experience with them has been abysmal.

4. macrumors G5

Macman45

The popular theory states that you have at least the same capacity for backup as you do on your main machine. A 3TB TC is a good solution, but you may not need or want the wifi side of things. I dislike USB HDD's. They are slow, if reliable and so use a Promise Pegasus unit with T/Bolt.

5. thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all but still confused? Seagate maybe? Seems WD is hit or miss. I didn't realize LaCie wasn't made by them.

Are we talking about Thunderbolt or USB 3 or both.

6. macrumors newbie

If your iMac has USB 3.0 then I think a Seagate external drive would be a good option. Not much point spending the extra on a Thunderbolt equipped drive.