Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Original poster
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I'm a bit late in posting again, but I did want to point out that MacRumors has passed 7 million searches. Coincidentally enough, it happened shortly after the close of the 4 million post contest.

This last million searches came in just 85 days, significantly faster than the approximately 132 days for the previous million. Certainly iPhonemania played a large part in this acceleration, but it is yet another interesting way to track the growth of the forums here.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
We have since gotten the Google search tool as well, so there are even more total searches, that aren't recorded.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Original poster
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
how do you do that?

If you use Safari's bookmark bar, Command-1 will take you to the first bookmark, Command-2 to the second, etc.

It completely ignores folders on the Bookmark Bar and anything inside them though.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
The vBulletin-implimented search feature is still pretty ****ed. As great as it is to hear people are still using it, is there any word on whether any changes are being made to make it better at finding stuff?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Original poster
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
The vBulletin-implimented search feature is still pretty ****ed. As great as it is to hear people are still using it, is there any word on whether any changes are being made to make it better at finding stuff?

Yes, we've decided to convert all search requests into PMs sent to you. Response time will be tracked to assure quality.

On the plus side, we're boosting the cap on the number of messages you can have at any one time. On the minus side, expect to be using all of that increased space.

Good luck.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Original poster
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Thanks mate. Can you tell mpw to stop searching for boobies? He's looking in all the wrong places. The hardware forums refer to computers, mpw.

Actually, we have some fairly extensive ornithological discussion in the Community Discussion forum, and mpw likes to keep up with the latest happenings. That debate about blue-footed boobies vs. red-footed boobies was really something though...whew.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I suppose that includes my 1,000,000 New Posts searches since 2002, or anyone else's?

It doesn't include the search for "favourite browser" or "Safari or Firefox", I'm sure.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Original poster
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Time for another update! We've passed 8,000,000 searches, with the last million coming in about 84 days. So we're maintaining the crazy pace set during the launch of the iPhone.

It'll be interesting to see if the new search engine here has an effect on the pace. I'm sure "New Posts" searches are a significant portion of all searches, but will we see an increase in other searches with the more powerful engine (and the at least temporary removal of the Google search from the MR interface)?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Time for another update! We've passed 8,000,000 searches, with the last million coming in about 84 days. So we're maintaining the crazy pace set during the launch of the iPhone.

It'll be interesting to see if the new search engine here has an effect on the pace. I'm sure "New Posts" searches are a significant portion of all searches, but will we see an increase in other searches with the more powerful engine (and the at least temporary removal of the Google search from the MR interface)?

That's interesting since searches may have been killing some of our performance lately.

arn

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Original poster
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
About 12 hours ago, we passed 9 million searches. That's an interval of approximately 78 days for this last million. Next stop: 10 Million!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.