4.1 sound off PowerBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by titaniumducky, Apr 24, 2004.

1. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

I have a set of speakers which support 4.1. However, it takes a front and rear input. For this reason, all I've been able to use is 2.1. I'm wondering if I can use a 2 female to 1 male to fix this. See here:

http://www.pigselectronics.com/products/CBMS2FM.htm

The idea is this - I connect the rear and front input 1/8" cables to my speakers. Then I take this two cables and plug them into the female ends. The male end goes into the line-in/headphone jack as normal. Will this work to give me 4.1 sound?

Thanks in advance.

2. Celeron macrumors 6502a

Will it work, sure. Will it be real 4.1 sound? No. What you'll get is 2.1 sound out of 4 speakers.

3. titaniumducky thread starter macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

So, both the left-front and left-back will have the same sound and the right-back and right-front?

In that case, will it sound any better? Is it worth the $10 or so?

Are there any alternatives?

4. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Yep, you got it right. Would it sound any better? Well, it might sound louder, since you're using 2 more speakers. But it wouldn't be true 4.1 audio. The only way to get real 4 point sound would be to buy an external USB soundcard.

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I'm in a similar situation. Right now, I have one of those splitters, but I'm not using it because my speakers are at school, and I don't feel like setting them up just for the last week of exams. Anyway, I'm looking at getting an M-Audio Sonica Theater, which supports 4.1. Or I might buy the Logitech Z-680 system, hook that up to the Sonica Theater, and possibly attach my Z-540 system to my Beige G3 or my parents' iMac.

6. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

to really have 4.1, you're going to need a new sound card to plug into the pcmcia slot, or some sort of firewire audio device.