4:3 to 16:9 Help

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by litosclone, Jan 28, 2006.

1. litosclone macrumors member

Ok -- I shot an independent film on a Canon GL1, I used the 16:9 GL1 option (it stretches the height). I accidentally imported the film in 4:3 ratio to Final Cut Express HD. By the time I noticed my mistake, I had imported the entire film. I changed the easy setup to 16:3, hoping it would change the format and it did. When I'm editing, the viewer and canvas show the film in widescreen format. But when I export the file to QuickTime, the film is back to its 4:3 format. Does anyone know if I can change the stretched 4:3 to 16:9 with out having to re-import the film from the camera and DV tapes?

2. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Check the resolution that you are exporting at, make sure it is a 16:9 resolution.

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

What CfC said. Make sure your export is set to anamorphic or 16:9 (unless told otherwise I think QT assumes a 4:3 image).

Lethal

4. litosclone thread starter macrumors member

Where do I find the resolution in exporting. I go to file > export > and there are two options:

Option 1- Quick Time Movie > include audio and video and markers, there is no place to check resolution. I Know this save is for DVD studio pro or iDVD

Option 2- Using Quick Time Conversion > Format and Use. "Format" gives you options like QT, iPod, MPeg2. And "Use" is for choosing internet speeds.

Next to format there is an "options" button: when clicked it takes me to "Movie Setting" I click on the "Settings" and it opens another window.
    There I have a pull down bar called "Compression type" right now it says H.264 there are other option, but none say 16:3 or Anamorphic. There is a preview box to the bottom right of the window and it previews my export as 16:3, but the final product is 4:3. :confused:

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

16:9 not 16:3. ;)

Try this
    Export->QT Movie
    then under the "settings" menu select "DV NTSC 48khz Anamorphic"

I ran into a similar problem a while ago unfortunately I can't remember exactly what I did to fix it.

Lethal

6. litosclone thread starter macrumors member

Try this
    Export->QT Movie
    then under the "settings" menu select "DV NTSC 48khz Anamorphic"

I ran into a similar problem a while ago unfortunately I can't remember exactly what I did to fix it.

Lethal[/QUOTE]

That's not an option in Export > QT movie
    or in "Quick Time Conversion"

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Hmm. I'm using FCP not FCE, but I didn't think the export options would be that different. Sorry. Looks like w/o copy of FCE I'm not much help.:eek:

Lethal

8. litosclone thread starter macrumors member

9. frankpledge macrumors newbie

16:9

1st off, go to http://www.lafcpug.org/ for questions. they know all.

next.

16:9 is sorta a 'viewing' process thing. your footage is always squished. FCP allows you to see it unsquished because it processes it. but the footage is in fact squished. for instance - if you send (external view) your cut out to a monitor/tv, unless the monitor has 16:9 capablity (meaning it will unsquish it), it will appear as that same distorted 4:3.

copy the 16:9 footage in your 16;9 timeline and paste it into an empty 4:3 timeline. FCP will automatically 'letterbox' the footage. you then have to render the entire timeline. export THAT seq.

10. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Are you able to go Export --> Quicktime Conversion --> Then format: Quicktime Movie and click options then click on "Size..." and enter a 16:9 resolution. Like 320x180 or 640x360?

Attached Files:

11. litosclone thread starter macrumors member

That worked! :D
    Thanks ChrisFromCanada