Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
When the Loma Prieta (San Francisco area) earthquake hit in 1989, my mom was in Los Angeles talking on the phone to someone she knew in San Francisco.

He said he thought they were having an earthquake. Many second later she felt it arrive, while they were still on the phone. Voice signals travel through phone networks a lot faster than P-waves travel through the ground.

Hmmm... I wonder if Verizon P-waves have better quality than AT&T P-waves. :rolleyes:

jecapaga

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2007
Southern California
I briefly woke up and shrugged it off. Woke up in the morning thinking I had a dream about a mild earthquake and that I had long, flowing locks and was right about to close the deal.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
We must have slept through it (or it wasn't strong enough in our area for us to feel it).

You would have felt it had you been up. 4.4, while not huge, is certainly big enough to get your attention. It woke my wife up, and we're quite a ways further from the epicenter than you are.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
You would have felt it had you been up. 4.4, while not huge, is certainly big enough to get your attention. It woke my wife up, and we're quite a ways further from the epicenter than you are.

Wow, I must have been out cold then. I'm typically a very light sleeper.

I was once woken up by an earthquake when I was still living in Toronto.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Hehe, my british husband, not knowing how seasoned my California family is with earthquakes, sent my mother an email to ask her about it. Her response made us both laugh and since I know Q has met her, I'm posting it:

iBlue's mom said:
No, did not feel a thing. The whole local morning news was so annoying, blabbing about nothing, interviewing idiots so they could say in their room temperature I.Q.s what they experienced. I want death, carnage, & busted freeways before you interrupt our news with a quake reading not larger than a fart.

:D After the Northridge quake she nonchalantly walked up to my side of the house past all the broken and fallen stuff and pointed a flashlight at me and said with a hint of a smile, "Well that was pretty big!" No crap, mom! She's tough to shake up, as it were.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Hmmm... I wonder if Verizon P-waves have better quality than AT&T P-waves. :rolleyes:
Hmmm...

I think that the root question is not, whether or not they are better P-waves, but rather if they are in greater quantity over a wider area. :p

Hehe, my british husband, not knowing how seasoned my California family is with earthquakes, sent my mother an email to ask her about it. Her response made us both laugh and since I know Q has met her, I'm posting it:
iBlue's mom said:
No, did not feel a thing. The whole local morning news was so annoying, blabbing about nothing, interviewing idiots so they could say in their room temperature I.Q.s what they experienced. I want death, carnage, & busted freeways before you interrupt our news with a quake reading not larger than a fart.
:D After the Northridge quake she nonchalantly walked up to my side of the house past all the broken and fallen stuff and pointed a flashlight at me and said with a hint of a smile, "Well that was pretty big!" No crap, mom! She's tough to shake up, as it were.
Love your mom's reply! :)

Same here in Japan. It needs to be pretty significant before we notice or get worried.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
iBlue: I bet your mom just loved it when the local news stations started reading us random twitter messages like "we just had an earthquake!" over the air. :rolleyes:

The news stations seem to think that doing this makes them look cool. I think it's the opposite. If I wanted to get my earthquake news from tweets I wouldn't have turned on the TV!

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Same here in Japan. It needs to be pretty significant before we notice or get worried.

Same here too. I just looked at the local "earthquake watch" site and I see that we had a 5.5 today, a 5.7 yesterday, and a 4.0 two days prior. I wasn't aware of any of them :p

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
iBlue: I bet your mom just loved it when the local news stations started reading us random twitter messages like "we just had an earthquake!" over the air. :rolleyes:

The news stations seem to think that doing this makes them look cool. I think it's the opposite. If I wanted to get my earthquake news from tweets I wouldn't have turned on the TV!

:D Oh yes, I bet that did make her eyes go-a-rollin'. She was most disappointed in me for being a "twit" myself but I assured her I'm only a part-time twit.

Very much agree about that last part too.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
I think the accuracy was good and that they correctly reported what a random person said on twitter. The question is WHY???
Tweets like hey the ground is shaking here are all that helpful and informative. But I guess it's quick.

As to "WHY???", now that's a good question. :)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Woah! We just went rock and rolling here. Did Southern California just have another quake?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Details:
Magnitude: 6.9
Date-Time: Sunday, April 04, 2010 at 03:40:39 PM at epicenter
Depth: 20.1 miles
Region: BAJA CALIFORNIA, MEXICO
16 miles SSW from Guadalupe Victoria, Baja California, Mexico
38 miles SW from San Luis Río Colorado, Sonora, Mexico
40 miles SW from San Luis, AZ
108 miles ESE from Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico​
We were rolling for a good 30 seconds.

Attachments

• earthquake-location.png
    earthquake-location.png
    73 KB · Views: 185

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Yes, it felt like the city was on ball bearings. Felt weird.

I'm sure there's a lot of damage near the border. Sad. Hope not too bad, though - but that is huge!

I certainly felt that one! That's exactly how it felt.

I felt weird- like I was dizzy for a few seconds. I was in a store, so I looked around, but no one else was reacting to it.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
There were preshocks of magnitudes in the 3s and 4s in Mexico before the biggest jolt. Some sites are calling it 6.9, some 7.2.

We're having aftershocks on our side of the border, including a 5.1 near El Centro, CA. I wonder if the seismic waves had to go through immigration.

On no!
Reports from Disneyland security indicate that the park's rides have been shut down to be checked for damage, as standard procedure after any earthquake.​

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.