4-5 hours...

Discussion in 'iPod' started by taylorpc, Jan 30, 2006.

1. taylorpc macrumors member

... is this normal battery life for a 5G/video? I skipped around a little bit (seriously, just a little bit...) and it lasted 4-5 hours, at most. This has happened to me every time I've charged it.

2. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

is this just music or just video? Or are you doing both?

3. taylorpc thread starter macrumors member

This is just music, haven't used the video feature yet. I skip around a little, but as I stated in my original post, it's only a little bit. Even so, it shouldn't take away 8 or 9 hours of battery life.

4. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

5. greg555 macrumors 6502a

Using the EQ and backlight shorten the battery life. If the bit rate of your songs is more than 128kbps then the HD has to spin more often, shortening run time. And as mentioned skipping shortens run time since the HD has to spin more often.

Greg

6. taylorpc thread starter macrumors member

I do use the EQ, I believe it's set to rock. The bit rate is set to 128kbps. Is using EQ + minimal skipping enough to reduce battery life that drastically?

(I listen at about 60-70% volume)

7. greg555 macrumors 6502a

I don't think Apple states how much the EQ (or other features) reduce the run time.

Your best bit if you are concerned about the battery life is to run it without EQ, without skipping and see how long it goes. That is how Apple would test your battery (I believe) if you returned it for a battery life problem.

I thought my previous (1st gen) iPod mini was a little under-spec since it seemed to last only 7-ish hours. But when I ran a test on it it lasted 8.5 hours. So the skipping and backlight I was using did have an effect.

Greg

8. topher macrumors member

Still Rocking the 5 GB

As a proud owner of the 1st generation ipod, I've had some "fun" working with the battery.

Apple's criteria for establishing predicted battery life is something like:

Turn off all the fancy stuff (EQ, Backlight, etc.) so that you're down to just music.

Pick an album, and set your ipod to repeat albums.

Push play.

If you speak to an apple rep, they will probably recommend that you do this very first. It's a very biased test, because no one uses their ipod like this...but it gives the best seeming results because it plays the entire album from RAM, without accessing the hard drive inside the ipod.

If you run this test (which is posted on the ipod help section of Apple's website, btw. Here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61475) and find that your ipod really only works for 4-5 hrs, then you have a legitimate complaint, worthy of a new or repaired ipod.

Also, upgrading the firmware and restoring your ipod also tend to help...no good reason why...but they do.

9. taylorpc thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies... I will run the test and post the results.

10. taylorpc thread starter macrumors member

Okay, I finally ran the test exactly as stated on the apple website. I got about 8 hours. Is this good, or bad?

11. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

Isn't the deal with Apple that if your iPod is under warranty and it's charge is less than half of what it should be, they'll replace it?

12. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Off topic but watch out on the 60-70% volume. Your gonna go deaf dude! :eek:
    At least get some sound isolating headphones so that you won't turn the volume up soo high.

13. taylorpc thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice! I'm using Grado SR-80's, it seems as if the volume needs to be turned up more on these to get the same volume I was used to with the apple earbuds... I'll have to tone it down :)

So 8 hours is just a little over half of what the charge should be... should I take it in or be happy with what I have?

14. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

my two cents... I'd take it in. I have a 5G also and my battery life is amazing. I had a nice 3G before and got a solid 8 hours out of it, and I get easily over 10 on this 5G iPod with "Rock" turned on and "Sound check" on as well.