4-6 weeks for all G5's?!??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by 2A Batterie, Jun 24, 2004.

1. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

I'm just chomping at the bit waiting to buy my first new mac and while I was pricing (getting ready to plunge right after WWDC), I noticed that all new G5's were shipping in 4-6 weeks! What gives? Would I normally need to wait that long? I need that G5 asap for audio production that is just killing my eMac.

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Try another apple retailer (other than Apple Store). At Mac Connection, you can get a Dual 1.8 shipped overnight and have it in your hands tomorrow:

MacConnection.com.

3. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

But what he really wants is a BTO G5 Dual 2.5. Or whatever speed bumped Dual G5 that comes out next Tuesday.

4. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

I DO want the 2.5, but I can't wait 4-6 weeks... I have to record audio tracks for 3 shows before then. Can I get the new 2.0 or 1.8 now? If I'm correct, revb. has the 970fx in it. But now that I think of it, I'm using my educator's discount so are there really any other options besides buying from the Apple Store? Thanks for the help!

5. Semperfiero macrumors newbie

Depends on what you built

If you are doing BTO watch the options you select. Yes the 2.5 will take the 4-6 weeks but if you are getting a D1.8 or D2.0 it is certain options that are slowing it down. Specifically I found that if you add the PCI-X gigabit ethernet and the hightest Graphic Card (Radeon 9800 256) then the shipping is 4-6 weeks. Remove those if you really don't need them and it will cut it down to 3-5 days. I thought the same thing until I played with the options and it cut the shipping time dramatically.

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

What do you want to BTO? Because you can buy a refurb or older model for less than the edu discount, and have it in your hands sooner. Then just add your own RAM, etc.