Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Tell me again what stockholders are good for

If Tim does a bad job the stock goes down and they sell
If Tim does a good job the stock goes up and the sell

Ok I think I answered my own question

Well, you first have to split stockholder into two categories: traders and investors.

Traders trade for the quick buck, not long term growth, and can create volatility in a stock which is a double edged sword for Apple because they can quickly drive up the price supplying Apple with a market cap well above it's actual net worth. That gives Apple (or whatever company is being traded) more market power. But traders can also drive down a price making a company "poorer" than it's actual book value.

Most traders go by the old adage buy on the rumor, sell on the fact with the theory that the shares are going to move sideways short term once fact verifies rumor OR they realize that rumors do not reflect reality. The exception is if reality is actually MUCH better than the rumors or estimates.

Investors are long term owners of the stock and company; the "buy" and "hold" people. They have a long term objective and provide Apple with stability, counterbalancing the traders.

Someone has to own the company and as long as Apple remains public it will be the shareholders. As owners of the company its their prerogative to buy, sell, or hold, based on their finacial objectives. But without willing shareholders, Apple could not exist as it does today. It's why Jobs took it public in the first place.

----------

Relevant to your post: People seem to have forgotten that an entire working phone was leaked under Jobs when they bash Cook for security.

True. The Apple product rumors industry existed well before Cook. Jobs even made it his personal mission to shut down a site. But I think people "bash" Cook on the leaks because he made the impossible, ridiculous statement about "doubling down." Jobs never made those kinds of declarations. He went after leakers but he never made empty one-liners on the subject.

Apple can turn off the info spigots it controls; it's employees, but its hard to contain contractors, especially when Apple has few alternative sources because of the oligopoly nature of the electronics parts manufacturing business.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
yeah the leaks are really out of control

if they do present a watch though, they did a stellar job of preventing leaks

Assuming there is a wearable the answer to the riddle may be that they are expanding production in the US. Consider that the iPhone and iPad are made in China and most leaks are sourced to Chinese and Taiwan news sources.

On the flip, the new Mac Pro was produced in the US and there were only leaks that there was going to be one but nothing about it. So it's possible the new wearable and even perhaps the new TV set box are US productions and thus Apple has the legal backing to keep leaks from happening.

----------

"Bold enough to charge forward" is one way of saying it.

"Willing to make sacrifices in order to scream 'FIRST!" on many aspects of hardware and software that no one cares about or uses" would be another.

When you look at it over time it does appear the latter is more true. If we were to break down sales of the various iPhones and Samsung phones to find the final end user sales (not just channel or a mix) adjusted for returns by the customers during the standard 2 week period the carriers and now even Apple endorse, what would the numbers be. And what is the trend of numbers in terms of final sales quarter after quarter when Samsung is releasing something new and Apple is still saying 'that six month old crap'

I bet we would find that the numbers are very close to identical, showing that Samsung isn't really beating Apple although they might be beating all the other Android OEMs hands down.

And that's before we get into well performed research into usage and satisfaction

----------

A purpose of leaks can be to condition you to get over your disappointment by showtime.

that is my thought as well. Apple isn't likely to be leaking details to build hype but might be leaking hints that things are not as they have been guessed and folks need to slow down

----------

How reliable is Feld & Volk? I mean, I understand they "built" an iPhone 6 - but where did they get the list of parts from, and who authenticated the parts list? Just because I can build something that looks like an iPhone 6 and make it run iOS doesn't make it the product in mass production. Just curious.

They are more than likely not reliable at all. the list likely came from their knowledge of what the iPhone would have and a guess of how they would check off the boxes. Not any kind of leak or authenticated information

----------

Has anyone else noticed that all the names on the chips are scratched off or blurred?

adds to the sense of legitimacy. Why would anyone cover up that information but to keep it from being traced.
----------

Tomorrows headline - 'Apple buys and shuts down luxury modified iPhone vendor Feld & Volk'

I doubt they really care much. After all, its possible that this company is wrong on several factors and even those they got right could be only partially. So rather than being mad, Apple could be laughing their collective ass off

And even if they do care its likely to be directed at the source of the information and not some company that many folks have probably never heard of using said information to get attention and free press

milan03

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
New York City
More capacity for everyone.

If that capacity weren't there, you likely wouldn't even get 4mbps.
It's actually the other way around:

- For consumer, faster modem gets the same job done quicker, and therefore gets that data session completed + client off the network faster.

- For wireless operator, they drastically increase spectral efficiency and resource block management.

"Race to sleep" = common sense.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I am wondering if it is intentional?! It started right after Steve Job died! I recall Apple dispatching SFPD to retrieve a lost copy of iPhone 4 or 4S.

You recall incorrect. it was an iPhone 4, while Steve was alive, and no one retrieved it as it was running at best the soon to be released iOS 4 which was pre iCloud and Find my iPhone.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Assuming there is a wearable the answer to the riddle may be that they are expanding production in the US. Consider that the iPhone and iPad are made in China and most leaks are sourced to Chinese and Taiwan news sources.

On the flip, the new Mac Pro was produced in the US and there were only leaks that there was going to be one but nothing about it. So it's possible the new wearable and even perhaps the new TV set box are US productions and thus Apple has the legal backing to keep leaks from happening.

the only reason the Mac Pro was made in the USA was due to the huge margin that Apple has on that product and the lower production quantities needed. if the Mac Pro was super popular and mainstream with regular customers, it would be made in China for sure

it's also much cheaper and easier to produce than the iMac which also has a screen which is another reason. manufacturing processes are not as involved

archi penko

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2007
...and how did you come to that conclusion?

Everything I could google on this chip, came up with no information on that.
Also results suggests that it’s more or less a beefed up iPhone 5s chipset.
... as far as i could wade thru all that technical data.

christarp

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2013
I think all of these leaks are stemming from the fact that apple just doesn't care to keep the iphone under heavy wraps. Any average person can probably predict that the next iphone will be bigger, faster, better, etc. Look at the new mac pro, and the iwatch. There were nearly no leaks about either of these products. Existing product refreshes are fairly easy to predict.

AppleHater

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
If you want the latest technology, it's Android, but if you want the technology that works for everyone, it's iOS. NFC has been around for years, but I'm sure the way Apple will implement payment system using NFC will be the standard Samsung is going to copy next year with Galaxy S6, for example.

milan03

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
New York City
Everything I could google on this chip, came up with no information on that.
Also results suggests that it’s more or less a beefed up iPhone 5s chipset.
... as far as i could wade thru all that technical data.

Did you ever read my earlier post with the Qualcomm RF port scheme? Reading the posts could be a good start.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
What is this new chip going to do for 3G power consumption vs the current iPhone 5S technology?

I'm not a heavy user of data on my phone so I keep LTE switched off. 3G is perfectly good enough to sync my calendar, contacts and a few other things and support my occasional use of maps, wikipedia, web searches etc.

Will this change anything as far as 3G vs 4G power consumption is concerned perhaps make it more power efficient to use LTE vs 3G due to some sort of big advance in LTE power efficiency?

LTE is more efficient, if nothing because its faster, so your chip functions less of the time. But, if you have worse LTE coverage than 3G, then select 3G if you are worried about your battery lasting. Its coverage that truly determines how long your phone will last; a week signal kills the battery.

kdarling

macrumors P6
How reliable is Feld & Volk? I mean, I understand they "built" an iPhone 6 - but where did they get the list of parts from, and who authenticated the parts list? Just because I can build something that looks like an iPhone 6 and make it run iOS doesn't make it the product in mass production. Just curious.

They didn't use a list of individual parts and actually build anything.

They apparently acquired entire pre-built sections and assembled them, just like the workers at Foxconn would.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
Apple chooses the plenty fast LTE chip that be reliably produced in volume and uses less power preserving battery life.

Samsung chooses the slightly faster LTE chip which production volume is questionable (not a problem for Samsung) and hogs even more battery unnecessarily.

Sounds about right.

----------

The fastest LTE download speed I ever came across was 45 Mbps.

No idea where I would encounter a 150 Mbps signal. Right under a tower?

Wow some of you need to be set straight.

That newer Samsung modem is over 20% more power efficient then the older one in the next iPhone.

The galaxy alpha from Samsung is a flagship 20nm soc and only has an 1800mah battery.that is a HUGE batter reduction they did there and the phone is using an 8 core CPU on top.

I really can't believe some people think the older crap is better because apple chosed it over the new gen stuff.what will u say when the 6s has this junk modem that Samsung is already using?

TommyA6

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2013
Wow some of you need to be set straight.

That newer Samsung modem is over 20% more power efficient then the older one in the next iPhone.

The galaxy alpha from Samsung is a flagship 20nm soc and only has an 1800mah battery.that is a HUGE batter reduction they did there and the phone is using an 8 core CPU on top.

I really can't believe some people think the older crap is better because apple chosed it over the new gen stuff.what will u say when the 6s has this junk modem that Samsung is already using?

Samsung will sell a few millions of Galaxy Alpha, compared to 100 million of iPhone 6. Hopefully this convinces you why Apple couldn't have gone with a newer, harder to produce modem. Qualcomm would have a very tough time producing that many chips, leading to, you've guessed right, iPhone 6 shortages.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
Samsung will sell a few millions of Galaxy Alpha, compared to 100 million of iPhone 6. Hopefully this convinces you why Apple couldn't have gone with a newer, harder to produce modem. Qualcomm would have a very tough time producing that many chips, leading to, you've guessed right, iPhone 6 shortages.

Right because Samsung is not going to sell millions of galaxy alphas and note 4s lol or galaxy s6s...wait was it the reason they kept 1gb ram also?

PS apple will take almost 2 years to sell 100 million iPhone 6s please stop pulling numbers out your ass

TommyA6

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2013
Right because Samsung is not going to sell millions of galaxy alphas and note 4s lol or galaxy s6s...wait was it the reason they kept 1gb ram also?

PS apple will take almost 2 years to sell 100 million iPhone 6s please stop pulling numbers out your ass

Galaxy note 4 and alpha, combined, won't sell as much as iPhone 6 (maybe 25%).

As far as 100 million number being out of my ass... :rolleyes:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14...ards-of-75m-iphone-6-units-before-end-of-2014

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story...m-iphone-4s-units-q4-surpassing-ga/2013-02-20

The second link proves they sold 25+ million units of iPhone 5 in one quarter. ONE QUARTER (2 years ago)

Galaxy S6 won't be out for another 6 months, and by then production will have improved drastically.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
Galaxy note 4 and alpha, combined, won't sell as much as iPhone 6 (maybe 25%).

As far as 100 million number being out of my ass... :rolleyes:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14...ards-of-75m-iphone-6-units-before-end-of-2014

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story...m-iphone-4s-units-q4-surpassing-ga/2013-02-20

The second link proves they sold 25+ million units of iPhone 5 in one quarter. ONE QUARTER (2 years ago)

Galaxy S6 won't be out for another 6 months, and by then production will have improved drastically.

Yeah there first 1/4 is strong and then falls off just like ever launch.it will take apple well over a year to sell 100 million phones.

Are you trying to say that Samsung with all its line up don't sell in the millions like apple? The limited modem claim u make has no proof.please provide proof saying there is yeild and production issues with it as Samsung will sell north of 15 million with alpha and note 4 sales in its first 1/4 and they will get the new modem.

Are you saying Samsung has more pull then apple to get modems from Qualcomm?

Nice link from apple insider...can you get any more based lol and that is nothing but pure prediction.

If apple wanted the new modem they would of used it!

Here's a little wake up call...Samsung sells millions of phones just like apple.the note 3 sold over 10 launch and is doing well even to this day.its out selling all other android OEMS and is at 50% of what apple sold and were just talking about the note 3 alone.

Last edited:

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2013/12/10/interesting-number-samsungs-galaxy-note-3-alone-approaches-50-of-all-of-apples-iphone-sales/

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
My thoughts exactly, at the theoretical max speed, in one second you would download 18.75MB worth of data before you stop loading the page or go back. :( With a slower connection, you have more of an opportunity to back out and not waste as much data.

If you have Sprint, it will be more like 18.75 KB, which is still an improvement!

TommyA6

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2013
Yeah there first 1/4 is strong and then falls off just like ever launch.it will take apple well over a year to sell 100 million phones.

Are you trying to say that Samsung with all its line up don't sell in the millions like apple? The limited modem claim u make has no proof.please provide proof saying there is yeild and production issues with it as Samsung will sell north of 15 million with alpha and note 4 sales in its first 1/4 and they will get the new modem.

Are you saying Samsung has more pull then apple to get modems from Qualcomm?

Nice link from apple insider...can you get any more based lol and that is nothing but pure prediction.

If apple wanted the new modem they would of used it!

Here's a little wake up call...Samsung sells millions of phones just like apple.the note 3 sold over 10 launch and is doing well even to this day.its out selling all other android OEMS and is at 50% of what apple sold and were just talking about the note 3 alone.

You are deluded. Samsung sold 10 million Notes in 2 months. (first two months with the highest sales). Apple sold 6-7 million iPhone 5ss during the first weekend alone . You are clueless about context of those numbers you posted. You are comparing Notes strongest quarter (when it launched) to iPhone's weakest (just before new iPhone is launched), which, you guessed it, barely includes any iPhone 5s and 5c sales.

15+ million is peanuts compared to how many iPhone 6s will Apple sell (both 4,7" and 5,5"). They sold 51 million iPhones in the first 3 months of iPhone 5s availability (That's roughly 30 million 5ss + those 6-7 million from the quarter before which weren't included. So it's roughly 40 million iPhone 5ss). This year they'll sell reasonably more, considering they'll be launching 2 flagship iPhones at the same time

Finally, iPhone 5s accounts for around 65% of total iPhones sold in the past year (That's almost 90 million, not counting the 4th quarter). By the time the 4th quarter sales data are released, the iPhone 5s will have sold well over 100 million units. That is 100 million in 1 year.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
I guess Apple's attitude when it comes to the iPhone (both inside and out) is "slow and steady wins the race". Ironically enough, the fact that Samsung is bold enough to charge forward with newer tech is what has people criticizing Apple when it comes to lack of innovation, at least as far as the iPhone is concerned.

Completly disregarding the Apple A7?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.