4 day weekend!!!!

Discussion in 'Community' started by jiv3turkey748, Sep 24, 2005.

1. jiv3turkey748 macrumors 6502a

jiv3turkey748

because of hurricane Rita there is going to be a gas shortage here in georgia

So the governor decided that we're not going to have school on monday or tuesday, i guess theyre worried the busses wont have any gas

this is so sweet

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

going to have to make those days up at the end of the year probably though.

but probably a smart thing to do in an emergency situation like this.

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The school schedule has been disrupted in a few states.

I heard officials reading press statements this morning. One of them was the mayor of Houston. Officials said school would be out until further notice, but that announcements would be made soon. So it's up in the air.

States (at least I know this is true in California) require a certain number of instructional minutes, and leave it to local districts or even individual schools to decide what days and times classes are held. So, as PlaceofDis points out, they will likely try to catch up.

Of course, given the special circumstances, a lengthy disruption could cause students in some cities to miss more than they can catch up for.

4. SummerBreeze macrumors 6502a

SummerBreeze

My senior year in high school we missed three weeks of school due to the California fires. We didn't have to make it up, but since we were all worried that our houses wouldn't be there when we got home we weren't too excited about missing. And my AP courses were much more difficult when I got back because we'd missed three weeks of study-time.

Although, if you're community is gonna be fine, I guess that is pretty cool for you.

5. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I was just going to say that I got a week off my senior year of high school because of the California fires and that we didn't have to make it up either... :)

6. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Because of hurricanes, I've missed thursday and friday, and now school is cancelled until tuesday.

Blarf, they'll probably take away a few teacher preparation days. :(

Those are my favorite "non-holidays"

I get off, but teachers have to work-- it's weird how they work. :)

7. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

One year we didn't start until Oct. 8th because our school was completely gutted and a new gym addition, over the summer... o, and did I mention, we got out in May!!!! That was the best summer ever! :D

8. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I love when school gets canceled! Last year we had two or three snow days and one "cold" day because there was a -45 degree windchill. :eek:

9. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Man, why can't we get "hot days"?

Blech, 100+F degrees and we can't get a day off?
    Yuck! The A/C is crap, too! it's either FREEZING or friggin' hot.

10. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

You never "lose" a day of school. You just make it up later in the year.

11. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I wish we got "hot days", too. Our school was designed for A/C, but they were never put it in, so when it is hot or humid outside, it is 10 times worse inside.

12. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Last winter when we had those lovely blizzards we only had 2 days off O_O and then i had to drive to school through the snow it was horrible T___T especially when they don't plow parts of 104

13. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Did you read the thread? Two people, myself included, have given examples of missing school and never making it up...