Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
with your usage I doubt you will see a difference between having 4gb and 8gb in the next 3 years. Actually, I am almost certain you will not. Yes it can "future proof" your machine, but how long do you keep you mac's for? I personally upgrade every "tick", so base models always make sense and never fail.

V10

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2012
8 GB ram will "future proof" in two ways, you'll be able to enjoy it longer as upgrades to OS requires such AND your machine will be worth more when your ready to trade up....vs the 4 GB might not be very desirable at that time.

Bigserver1

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2012
I got the 4GB model. I do web browsing, iTunes, iPhone backups, some iPhoto, etc. Pretty low level stuff. For me, it's awesome. My old MBP was 2GB of slow ass RAM, so this 4GB 1600 feels like it's flying.

I anticipate trading mine in a couple years from now. I used the same MBP from 2006 to just a few weeks ago, and I don't want to do that again.

With that said, you could go for the 8GB, as it is worth the $100. I would have gone with it if the Apple store had a model configured that way, and I didn't want to wait to order one online.

rcappo

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
I upgraded my MacBook Pro from 4GB to 8GB last month, and it is very noticeable once you get Firefox and VirtualBox running. I wish I had done it a year ago.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
I ordered a refurb MBA that I will be getting next week. Will have 4GB. Am I happy that I got the 4GB version over the 2GB version? Yes. Do I wish this model came with 8 GB? Sure. But I won't lose sleep over it. I plan on using it for 12-15 months and upgrading at that point. But for $100, I think the 8GB is a worthwhile upgrade. I am just waiting for my MBA to get me to Haswell and hopefully an IPS screen. But I would definitely order it with the max RAM possible. Especially since you can't upgrade it yourself. If you could upgrade the RAM later, then you could always do the buy and wait approach to see if you need more RAM or for the prices to drop. You don't have that luxury with the MBA.

yourtoys7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2007
can you take it to apple store to do upgrade for $100.? or it has to be purchased from NEW...

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
The second you doubt about RAM, go for the higher of the two.
The worst thing that happens is that you won't use it.
The best thing is its more future proofed and can run more at a time.

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
I'm not at all convinced that the 8Gb is necessary on an Air. If you want the machine more powerful and need 8Gb, you should seriously be looking at a MBP I would have thought. The idea of the MBA is it's a cheap and cheerful tiny machine, not a powerhouse. Just sayin'. Obviously 8Gb would be better, but then so would a more powerful computer...

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
I'm not at all convinced that the 8Gb is necessary on an Air. If you want the machine more powerful and need 8Gb, you should seriously be looking at a MBP I would have thought. The idea of the MBA is it's a cheap and cheerful tiny machine, not a powerhouse. Just sayin'. Obviously 8Gb would be better, but then so would a more powerful computer...

Not sure where you got the cheap...part.

SWPROX

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2012
Vancouver,Canada

Cheap :eek: :confused:. And no,I will say 8GB is good,when I work in Aperture,I have seen RAM usage go to about 6GB active (along with Safari and iTunes running). Moreover,cMBP 13" aint much more powerful than MBA,gap has narrowed.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I would not buy any computer in 2012 with only 4GB of soldered RAM that could never be upgraded. That's the epitome of "planned obsolescence." Pony up for the 8GB or don't buy. 4GB is worthless because OS X takes half of that to run decency, and will use as much as you give it.

Johnny Alien

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2012
I would not buy any computer in 2012 with only 4GB of soldered RAM that could never be upgraded. That's the epitome of "planned obsolescence." Pony up for the 8GB or don't buy. 4GB is worthless because OS X takes half of that to run decency, and will use as much as you give it.

If someone has the money than I would say upgrade for future proofing however I disagree with most of this. 2GB is the minimum requirement but OS X does not use all 2GB to run. 4GB with the fast SSD is a pretty speedy machine that will be workable for quite a few years.

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
Go big or go home.

Not too many folks regretted having a larger machine.
More than a few regretted one that is too small and cannot be expanded.

go ipad

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2012
8 GB, of course.

Also B&H includes free software, when I checked last time. More is better in this case ;)

Miat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
I wonder how much hard earned cash has been wasted in just this thread alone from people ordering more RAM than they will ever use....

Exactly. I would be surprised if the average Air user noticed any difference, apart from not being able to have 37 apps running at once.

Worst RAM problem I have run into is RAM hog browsers (Safari and Firefox, in my case), and simple quit and re-open of them fixes that. No other program I run uses much RAM.

No way I could have justified the extra $285 it would have cost me for the 8GB version. That is almost the exact price for the extended AppleCare warranty on an Air, which is a kind of future proofing.

robdrj45

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
USA
As I type this my Air is using 1.96GB of RAM. I have Safari (one page open), Mail and Activity Monitor running. Future software updates may have this basic level of use requiring 2.5GB or more...that doesn't leave a whole lot in reserve. I'm glad I upgraded the memory.

Gorrfink

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
Worst RAM problem I have run into is RAM hog browsers (Safari and Firefox, in my case), and simple quit and re-open of them fixes that. No other program I run uses much RAM.

To me, this says why it's worth getting 8gb now. I don't particularly want to have to quit and reopen a web browser due to lack of RAM. A MBA is a considered purchase for most, and I would be irked in that situation.

I upgraded my desktop from 4 to 8 recently. It made a big difference, for a low %cost of the initial outlay. You can't do that on a MBA - you're stuck with your original decision. You need to be able to predict your future usage as well as future requirements well to feel comfortable with 4gb.

I really do wonder if Apple made 8gb available to buy off the shelf rather than have to wait for a fortnight, how many people would have gone with 4gb.

Exodist

macrumors member
I'm trying to decide here, it's kind of driving me crazy

The 4 GB MBA from Best buy will probably cost me around $1170 after taxes if I use my reward points.

If I get the 8 GB RAM model from an online store like B&H it will come out to $1299 flat since they don't charge shipping or tax

So it's a $130 differential

Basically what I do:

-Web browsing with an average of 4 tabs open at a time, streaming NBA games
-Movies and Music (itunes, VLC, etc)
-PDFs, powerpoint, word processing
-Minor video editing occassionally

Basically I am pretty sure 4 GB would be fine for this. My concern is that 2-3 years down the road when software and OS requirements start to increase the 4 GB will struggle to keep up. I have a short fuse for laggy computers so it makes me worry. What would you do in this situation? Is it likely that the 4 GB will indeed cause me issues within the next few years? The laptop I'm using right now has 4 GB of RAM and I got this thing in 2009 so the thought of using a 4 GB RAM laptop in 2015-2016 kind of turns me off :(

I got the 4GB one for my wife. She uses Facebook and uploads photos. No way she would ever use more. But if your like myself that multitask more, then you could use the 8GB. Maybe not today, but 2 years from now who knows. Personally I feel 8GB is the NORM, while 4 is econo and 16-32 is power house users. If your not sure, get 8GB... MBA isnt the easiest contraption to open up and install more in.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
MBA isnt the easiest contraption to open up and install more in.

You can't upgrade the RAM. No matter how you open it up. It is soldered to motherboard. What it comes with is what it will have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.