4 hour DVD?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GFLPraxis, Jun 24, 2006.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    iDVD can burn 2 hours of video to a DVD, correct? I was wondering if it is possible to burn 4 hours to a dual layer DVD.

I'm looking into buying an iMac with an EyeTV at the moment and just wanted to know how much I could squeeze on one disk :)
  2. DJO macrumors member

Apr 28, 2004
    Hi from New Zealand!

Don't know if this is any help but I got this hint some time ago when i was looking for ways to fit more video onto a single layer DVD:

"Toast 7 has the ability to compress oversized video DVD disc images to fit single-layer media. So you could have, say, 5 hours of video that you save as a disc image with Toast and then have Toast "requantize" that video for a single-layer disc.

How to:
    If this is a video that you are having Toast encode, set up everything the way you want but don't click the burn button. Instead choose Save as Disc Image from the File menu. Toast will do the encoding and create an image file that will fit up to a DL DVD.

When that is finished, select that image file in the Toast 7 Copy window. When you click the burn button Toast will ask if you want this to be on a single-layer or dual-layer DVD. When you choose single layer Toast compresses the content of the image file and then burns the DVD.

If you have an existing VIDEO_TS folder from a DL DVD you can use Toast's "DVD video from VIDEO_TS" to do this compression before burning."

It certainly worls for me, Quality is determined by how much you are trying to fit on of course.

Hope the information is useful.

DJO:) :)
  3. theBB macrumors 68020

Jan 3, 2006
    I believe iDVD can only do 90 minutes.