4+ hours 2 burn DVD video on MBP - normal???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by eddx, Jan 4, 2007.

1. eddx macrumors regular

eddx

I have been burning one dvd video per night, files from various sources including bit torrent, podcasts, dvd rips (handbrake) and mainly files from my eyeTV recorder.

Yesturday I burnt an .AVI file using Toast 7 onto a DVD-R, no menus no nothing. And it takes 4 hours and 39 minutes to encode and burn.

Last weekend, I burnt a home movie in iDVD in 25 minutes (same type of disk and that time includes encoding all the menus etc.)

Surely this cant be normal? There MUST be a quicker way.

I am using a 1st gen MacBook Pro (2.16ghz Intel CoreDuo) with 1gb ram and 100gb HD.

I would ideally like to get this process down under 1 hour.

PS - I was using Aperture and Photoshop CS3 and the standard apps (i.e. firefox, safari, itunes, preview, dashboard & finder) at the time of burning but that shouldnt effect it that much...should it? :confused:

2. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I think the time is normal as Toast has to encode the file into a DVD format. My guess is your home movie needn't be encoded and could therefore be burned quicker.

And encoding usually needs all your processing power (though I'm not sure if AVI encoding is multi-threaded), so doing processor-intensive things in Aperture or Photoshop could indeed slow down the encoding process.

3. cobravap macrumors regular

There is not much you can do with the encoding. However there is something you can do with the ACTUAL burning time. You can buy an external dvd burner and put it in a FW 400 or 800 case and use that to burn.

4. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    encoding takes forever......I let it run before I go to bed....