4 Hours In Hospital Last Night!!!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by betty02, Nov 11, 2005.

1. betty02 macrumors regular

betty02

Im really stressed and in pain, so thought i may make a post about it for some unknown reason. Me and my mate got droped of in my local town, i slammed the door behind me and traped my finger in it, this cut a big gash out of my finger, about 2 inches long, VERY painfull, as i swung round in pain, my finger got cought and my elbow went through the back window, and all the glass got in the cut of my finger.

There was ALOT of blood, and i mean ALOT, easily between 1-2 pint :O

I was in real pain, got to the hospital, had an x-ray, i personally didn't think there was any glass in there, but the x-rays prooved me wrong :mad::mad:!!!

There was 4 rather large pices of glass, and alot of smaller ones.

I was in so much pain the injected me twice with local anecetic, whilst she sat there for 3 hours piking in the cut on my finger with tweezers, getting all the glass out!.

After that i ahd another x-ray, still pices of glass in there, but she said she will stitch me up.

I needed 2 more injections because she started stitching and i could feel everything, and i jumped of the bed, so i had 5 'real' stitches and 4 'paper' ones, i need to go back tommorow, to have it cut open, and get more glass pulled out!!!!!!!!

Then im back there on monday aswell :O

Grrr its so painfull. thought i may just share you all with my story LOL!

2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

3. betty02 thread starter macrumors regular

betty02

im typing like a freak, but dont forget i have 9 fingers left!!!, and when i first started typing i used only 1 hand, so its back to the good old days :(

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wow.....now THIS shows true loyalty to MacRumours (either that, or internet addiction).

Don't worry, some of us still do that sometimes.

5. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

yeah, and especially from a brand new member!

ROFL

i hope your finger gets better quickly, betty02 and that it stops hurting. :(

6. mpw Guest

4hrs, you were lucky.(with the treatment not the accident obviously)

If I'd gone to my local A&E it'd have been at least twice that:mad:

7. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

That's an incredulous story. Thanks for feeling the need to share such graphic detail. :)

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I posted on here for about 2 months with only my left hand after breaking the right one in Canada skiing.

I got so good at typing left handed - I write left handed but my dominant hand is my right. 8 Months later and it still clunks, hurts when it's humid and there's a big bump on the back of my hand (bone disease = bad time healing). I couldn't afford to get pins in because it would've maxed out my credit card and insurance takes an age to pay up. The bone runs down the middle of my hand (3rd metacarpal) and in the xray looked like somebody shot a bullet right down the middle of it from wrist to knuckle.

Now I can't open jars anymore or play the piano like I used to.

/sob story.

9. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

This clearly demonstrates that the NHS is meeting it's targets and is well on its way to treating and discharging 98% of A+E attendees within 4 hours of booking in. It makes me so proud.

To be honest it's all about when you come in and if you think you're going anywhere else when you check in on a saturday afternoon then think again. The real problem is though that it is now easier to get into A+E to see a doctor than to see a GP in many cases and the hospitals are becoming victims of their own success. Thankfully if you tell people how long the wait is they'll often go home - woo hoo!

Sorry to hear about the hand, there's a lesson to be learnt there.

10. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

I recall several years ago while at school fellow classmates going to A&E just for a sprained wrist or a headache. I thought they were just being wimps personally.

Anyway, why do we put ourselves through this pain. I would say if I had that happen to me, I would stay offline until it had sufficiently healed, but I know that would be wrong. If anything, if I had more time on my hands, (pardon the pun), I would be online more. Just don't push yourself too hard.

11. betty02 thread starter macrumors regular

betty02

Its the dedication to MR :p

Yeah our A&E is bad, it normally takes 4 hours waiting lol, but it was quite bad, i was loosing alot of blood, and with there being glass in my finger they wanted to get it our ASAP, so i skipped hte que, the logest and most painfull was her actually sitting there with a pair of tweezers digging the pices of glass out lol

12. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

4 hours is nothing. I managed to stay in a hospital (which is named after a very large toy company ;)) from 6pm to about 3am, and then they wanted me back for a check at 6am-ish. Most of that time was spent in a bed waiting for the cast for my broken arm to be ready. Of course, it took them three tries to get the cast right (first had too much bend in my wrist, second my radius and ulna had come unset, third was the charm). They had to put me under twice because it hurt so much.

13. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

last time i was in the ER i was there for ohh 10 hours i think

and then time before that was 72 hrs, between ER and inpatient for 3 days -_-

and i hope you are kidding about losing a pint or two of blood, because you would need a transfusion at that point

and hell i am there every day of the work week including holidays like today T_T

14. efoto macrumors 68030

I found it pretty sweet, but I like that stuff :)

Thanks for sharing, feel better soon.

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, but it's your hand! That's one of the things I'd make sure to get fixed, even if it meant "maxing out me credit card." :confused:

16. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

One time I was at the John Deere Dealership buying the maintenance kit for my tractor. (Don't even think about calling me a hick!)

There was a guy in the garage putting blade on a mower deck a tractor. Apparently when he was tightening the bolt back on the wrench slipped and he cut himself on the newly sharpened lawn mower blade. He comes running out to the sales part of the store to get help from the person working there. He had wrapped his hand in a paper towel and there was a trail of blood running from where he cut himself all the way to where he came out. He stood there with blood dropping down into a puddle. He had cut himself from the base of his pinky finger all the way down to his wrist (on the side). I got some medical supplies out of my car and wrapped him all up. It was obvious though he would have to go to the hospital, soon after I had wrapped him blood was starting to seep through. I volunteered to drive him to the hospital and I rushed him there and fixed him up. I gave him about 25 stitches.

Another gruesome story...hmmm... my friend was jogging on in Boston. He tripped while running on a cheese grader bridge. It was one of the most disgusting thing ever. It would be like falling on a sharp pile of rocks. He had cuts all over his palms, arms, legs, etc.

I have even more gruesome stories but, I'm not sure you would really want to hear them.

17. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

I love those stories.

I have my fun stories like when i went to the ER at least once for 10 years straight for things. for some really screwed up things.

Or my trips to the morgue to assist on autopsies, those are always fun.

I remember when i had to basically do surgery on my dinning room table for my mother when she got a splinter deep in her hand. Had knives, tweezers and everything and had to get it out of her.

18. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I hate morgues. They are just sorta creepy.

I have another one. This kid went down a slide at school, and it had wood sides. Somehow going down it he got a 6" wood sliver up is butt cheek. It was even longer but tried to pull it out but it broke. I had to preform a surgery one him just to get it out. It was the funniest thing ever. I finally pulled the thing out and held it up and it was HUGE. All the nurses and I were laughing.

19. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

A doctor who is driving a Mercedes and craving the John Deere lawn tractors is a closet redneck. ;)

20. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

ibook30

I cut my finger tip off using a table saw. I drove myself to the hospital, got in and explained, "I cut my finger off!". When they asked me to sit down - I offered to show the young lady the damage - she cooly declinde andd leaned over and said. "we have two men in front of you with heart attacks - please sit down." I shut up. Sat down, and saw a doctor in an hour.

I can't complain about healthcare from that angle. Unfortunately, the dr. said there was nothing he could do 'cept clean the wound and write a script. I went home, and two weeks later got a huge bill. The bill seemed like more money than the amount of help I got.

Now I realize I am paying for emergency care,,,but he spent ten minutes with me, and beyond the diagnosis did very little. The script was nice,, some narcotic that made me sleepy, but I stoped using it quickly. A little disapointed after the whole thing.

21. mac-er macrumors 65816

How big is a sliver? Sounds like something they could've done in the ER with local anesthetic instead of sending him to the OR, especially since it was in his butt cheek (instead of a vital area).

That is so amazing you had enough gauze and other medical supplies to contain the blood of a cut that big!

So nice of you to not only drive him there, but go into a department a surgeon doesn't even work in (ER) to stitch him up.

22. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Yea, the ER probably could have taken it out themselves but they were probably getting filled up so they sent him to me. Since I can do it, and their were probably more severe cases that they needed people for, they can send the patient to me.

I actually used up all of the gauze in my medical kit and in my car's medical kit. It was quite a mess.

I figured that since I drove him all the way there, I might as well fix him so that he doesn't have to pay or have in insurance pay a ton of money for him. It wasn't severe enough that the guy was going to bleed out in minutes and that he would need an ambulance, but if he was to pass out while driving, that obviously would be dangerous. I have heard many times about how a towns ambulance resources are used up and someone gets hurt and the town has to find an ambulance from another town to use. So if this guy took up and ambulance and was not a critical patient and there was someone down the street having a stroke it would be better for the guy having the stroke to get the ambulance.