Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

one1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
There's no shortage of home made iPad stands, but $4 and 5 minutes to notch this Office Depot lexan card holder with the extended back seemingly just begging to be made into an iPad stand is worth doing. The high rise back allows the iPad to stand either portrait or landscape and the clear Lexan glass like look is a great bonus.

IMG_2184.jpg

DSC01491.jpg

DSC01505.jpg

DSC01506.jpg

DSC01507.jpg

DSC01513.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

one1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Thank you. What I particularly love about it is that it doesn't apply pressure to the back of the ipad at the base like many of the other stands do. The act of simply "leaning" it at the top versus forcing it to stand at the bottom are quite different and I've seen iPads get bends or imprints in them from those stands that force it to stand from the bottom - most especially if you accidentally bump it. With equal distribution from top and bottom using this stand it is much more friendly on the iPad. :)

The difference in taking your hand and holding the ipad up at the very bottom versus two hands being used (on top and bottom) will give you an idea of the dramatic difference in force applied to the base when using a stand that only holds from the bottom at an angle. This concept takes all the angled force off the base where the stand would be digging into the iPad. More of an issue in portrait mode.

Last edited:

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
How did you cut the lexan and keep it looking so good on the edges?

I am sure he used a buffer otherwise the edges would be scratch hazards. Perhaps low to wet high grit sandpaper would work...just not sure if you can get the polished edges.

So if you have the right tools and compounds this is possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.