4 Mics and 4 Headphones into a Mac

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by jimmy8, Jun 24, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

I need a very simple solution here. I have a Macbook Pro 13". I also do a radio show on Blog Talk Radio once per week. I'm about 80 shows in and have some offers to start doing some remote broadcasts. I need a very simple solution that I can plug 4 - 3.5 or 1/4" microphone jacks into and 4 - 3.5 or 1/4" headphone jacks into. I don't need some extravagant audio mixer as this will be strictly for talk and no instruments. Any non extravagant suggestions as i want to keep this as easy as possible and somewhat portable. I'm willing to pay up to $1,000.

2. macrumors regular

3. macrumors 68000

I've been using one of these for a few months and have been very happy. Street price is less than $200. 4 mic inputs but only one headphone output. There are plenty of inexpensive boxes you could use to connect multiple headphones though.

http://www.akaipro.com/eiepro

4. ChrisA, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2013

macrumors G4

This is very easy to do. But the cost of four decent mics and four decent headphones will use up at least of your budget.

try one of these:
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AudioBox44/

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Scarlett18i8/

And then you'd need a good headphone distribution amplifier that can drive four headphones -- I assume you all want the hear the same thing, not four different mixes?

This one is good and worth the money
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HP4/

You would do all the mixing and filters and so on inside the computer (using Garage Band or Logic) but you do need the level controls on each mic and each person will want their own volume control for headphones. SO the above system would be ideal for you. Set up some acoustic anti-reflective stuff on the walls so the reflected sound does not get into the mice

5. macrumors 68000

I don't see where the OP was asking about microphones and headphones, just the interface and headphone distribution. Maybe I misunderstood? If he also needs mics, cables, stands and headphones then I agree that $1000 isn't going to be enough.

6. macrumors G4

It is not clear to me from is post if the $1,000 is for the interface or the entire rig. It is a larger budget then he needs for just the Interface. He could do that with $500.

But good mice, stands, cables, headphones and so on can all each up $1,000 before you get to the interface.

Really it hardly matters what his budget is. He will have to spend what he has to spend to get the job done.

7. macrumors regular

Don't worry. You've read it correctly.

8. macrumors newbie

M-Audio Profire 610

• Firewire 800
    • Quality pre-amps
    • Easy to set up
    • Bus powered off the laptop = portability

9. macrumors G4

I think you want to avoid Firewire. Apple seems to be dropping FW ports from Macs. Yes it is faster than USB 2 but with only four channels you don't need faster.

10. macrumors 68000

Yep, I had to replace my firewire interface with a USB interface when I got a MacBook Air.

11. macrumors 603

"I think you want to avoid Firewire. Apple seems to be dropping FW ports from Macs. Yes it is faster than USB 2 but with only four channels you don't need faster."

It's worth noting that Apple will sell you a Thunderbolt-to-firewire adapter for $29.

I have not used one of these personally, but I read at least one report from someone else who did try it, and reported that everything worked properly with an external firewire-based audio interface.

My guess is that firewire-based interfaces will remain available and usable for some years to come...