4 nice applications:

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by amigo, Oct 3, 2006.

1. amigo macrumors newbie

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Nice links and recommendations. I personally use Adium from the list and love it a lot. But I'm surprised that you use Konfab even on top of Tiger? I realize it had some additional features over Dashboard, but I hadn't really heard of anyone using it.

FWIW, Konfabulator is the only one available for Windows of the list (now known as Yahoo Widgets), although, as you pointed out, most of us use Macs. ;)

Close Windows equivalents are...

Adium - Trillian (I like Adium better in general, although Trillian has AV support)

OmniGraffle - probably Visio, but I don't use either of them.

CandyBar - I don't know, but I'm sure there's tons of this on Windows.

3. amigo thread starter macrumors newbie

oh I heard about Yahoo Widgets but had no idea what it was.. good to know then..

well I have to say I don't use konfab that much.. since the tiger has it all already.. sometimes I decide to go with it but usually I just stay with the tiger..

umm.. thanks for giving the Windows equivalents, but I think we should both simply suggest to whoever's using windows to convert to mac!! =)

Dan

4. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I use Yahoo Widgets to have a couple of permanent desktop items, like my iTunes controller and a weather forecaster, even though I'm running Tiger and use Dashboard for other things.

5. amigo thread starter macrumors newbie

lol only I can do such a silly thing..

I left out my favorite app!! :p

Quicksilver 1.0b49

You canot say anything bad about this one! ;)

6. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

i discovered this program a couple days ago, it's kind of quicksilver, but incorporates the menubar alot more than QS. At the same time, i don't really use QS, but it's simiar in that it is pretty advanced, if you get the hang of it, you can do some pretty cool things with it..

http://www.petermaurer.de/nasi.php?thema=butler&id=butlerhelpers&sprache=english

it's called butler..

7. amigo thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll have a look at it, never heard of it.. thanks

8. mileslong macrumors 6502

mileslong

the best little app that no one has ever heard of is "switch". i used to have a bunch of FLAC audio files that i wanted to convert to 320mp3 and this was the only simple way i could find of doing it. its free and very simple. check it out.

9. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

My fav is App Zapper. Let's you try a ton of apps without tying up your HD with the unwanted ones.

10. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

Hmmm, I prefer Intaglio (www.purgatorydesign.com) to Omnigraffle (I own licenses for both and use Intaglio in 99.99% of the cases for drawing, mostly scientific, opening Omnigraffle just to check for updates:) ). $89 seems a bit steep at first, but it has been well worth the money for me. (my $0.02)

11. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

Speaking of omnigraffle it came with my powerbook(800g4) back in when they included extra non trial software. I thought it was solid. Anyway I still have my install disks from my pb anybody know how i could get that off of those disks - I now run 2footimac

12. amigo thread starter macrumors newbie

I see everyone is adding apps.. that's good =) by the end we will have a list of the lots of handy one!

so here's another very good one:

Snapz Pro X 2.0.3

Don't you think?

13. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

i dont know how people live without SizzlingKeys4iTunes (see sig for link).

14. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

iwow (itunes plugin)
    ivisualize (itunes plugin)

handbrake
    osx planet

15. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Well, since it's not universal (on your pb install disks) you can't run it on your new iMac.
    Omnigraffle is great though, you might like to download it from the makers.

16. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Not true. You can still insert the disc and get the package using freeware utilities. But that does seem like an awful lot of work for little result.