4 pin to 6 pin connector for iPod?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by luvmysunshine, Dec 25, 2004.

1. luvmysunshine macrumors newbie

Dec 25, 2004
    I have a PC laptop that has only a 4 pin firewire port...

I bought a USB 2.0/Firewire card which won't work due to a IRQ conflict which I've been told is unsolvable.

Is there any kind of adapter that can allow the 4 pin port to connect to the 6 pin wire with the iPod?

Also, the 4 pin won't power the iPod right? Is this a problem? If so, is there anyway I can fix that? (I would use my powerbook but I just got it and don't want to put all my tunes on it since I'm using it for work)

2. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

May 3, 2004
    Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
    My 3rd generation iPod came with a 4 to 6 pin adapter in the box. And yes those 2 extra pins you lose are power pins so you cant charge it from you laptop.
  3. DougJrS macrumors regular

Mar 21, 2004
    Kansas City
    Just an idea

I just had a buddy at work buy a FireWire "hub" it was like a USB hub, but it was for (6 pin) FireWire. He has an iMac and ran out of FireWire ports. The hub has a power cord, so I wonder if it "adds" power to the devices. If it does you could use 4 pin from the pc and then the hub would "add" power and send it to your iPod.

CompUSA.com has some, but they don't have much info about the power.

4. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    I do not believe that there are any 4-pin FireWire hubs...

iPods have been coming with 4/6 pin adapters for a while now. The 2G iPods even had 'em. I think that they now come with USB 2.0 cables, so you could sync via FireWire and then charge via USB... or you might as well just use a power adapter at the end of the day...