4 Port KVM SwitchBox

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by neilrobinson, Aug 21, 2004.

1. neilrobinson macrumors 6502

Aug 21, 2004
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Hi Everybody,

Just a few questions about KVM / Monitor Switches,

I currently run my mac with quark 6, adobe cs suite and other assorted graphic design / printing programs (supplied by work). I use my amd box for raw processesing power such as encoding dvds, resizing photoshop images (often 2gig +) which is faster and doesn't tie up the mac. I currently use vnc for remote display so i dont have to keep changing the cable but it does have problems (such as screen refresh ect).

I want a monitor swich box that i can share the monitor across the 3 boxes below (the keyboards are not so important as i have plenty of desk space usually)

any recomendations of cheap / good ones (price is an issue) that are easily avaliable in australia is appricated.

2. iBert macrumors regular

Jul 14, 2004
    How much can you spend? I bought a 4 port Belkin kvM last year, with 3 set of cables. And all ran for about $150 more or less. The thing is a 4 port kvm might be some what expensive. Not sure what are the prices now a day. Something you will need to buy are the cables, and they should run for $15. Again, I haven't kept up with this prices. Check out PriceWatch

I usually buy from NewEgg , don't know if they do international shipping. But at least here in America, personally, I think they are the best. Good prices plus awesome service.

Hope this helps some!
  3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Dr. Bott make a good one (it was about £110 UK sterling).

4 ports, rotary switch, with all cables, robust case...

It was recommended by another forum member -- crazyeddie
  4. slughead macrumors 68030

Apr 28, 2004

They suck, SOOOO bad.

I got the F1DS104U (omniview soho 4 port USB/VGA/sound) and .. well here are a few problems (and mind you, I tried all 3 versions of the firmware, which can be installed by a PC only so don't tell me that):

1. The Mac's CD tray would eject on startup
    2. When a key was held down, it would only pick it up for about 4 seconds, so games were out of the question because you'd hold down forward and it would only go forward for 4 seconds before having to be tapped again.
    3. The switch stopped working intermittently and all USB/power cables had to be removed.
    4. The switch eventually just died and had to be replaced. Luckily, belkin support came through and I got the PS/2 version (which did not require a keyboard plugged in). I use a simple USB switch to switch a USB hub with the keyboard and mouse on it.
  5. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003

these guys specificly support macs in some of their models. I have one those keboards with the key buttons on it, and a lot kvm do support these features. this was does.