4 year anniversary

Discussion in 'Community' started by rainman::|:|, Dec 22, 2004.

1. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

hello all :)

i don't usually share that much about my personal life, but for some reason felt like posting about this. My partner and I celebrated 4 years together yesterday.

This year it's extra special for us, we had some difficulties over the summer, and it looked like we were going to separate. but after making some changes, we're on the right track again. In fact, we're getting along famously, and we're considering starting a small business together (assuming we move to the Netherlands as planned).

So, since gays are usually cast as as unwilling-to-commit, I thought I'd share. In gay time, of course, this is our 12th anniversary. But gay time is a complicated phenomenon ;)

</boring lovey-dovey crap>

paul

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Congrats! I think the best thing about it is that you've been together four years and still are happy about it. A lot of couples tend to stay together due to relationship momentum - sounds like you two still have a spark, which is great.

Two good friends of mine, with whom I lived for a couple of months, just celebrated 20 years together. Since I think there are exponents involved with the gay<-> straight time conversion equation, I think that ends up being something like the equivalent of 87 straight years.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Congratulations!

Awww... nice Xmas story. Hope that move to Holland comes off!

BTW: Thought this might make you chuckle:

Anniversary Themes:
    3rd - Third - Leather
    4th - Fourth - Fruit/Flowers
    5th - Fifth - Wood

;) :D :eek:

According to
    this site.

All the best
    BV
    x

p.s. Tot ziens!
    (Een kleine beetje Nederlandse...)

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Ah... but the same site lists "modern" equivalents as:

Third - Crystal/Glass
    Fourth - Appliances
    Fifth - Silverware

So, I'd choose the traditional 3rd and 5th year stuff, but "appliances" could be a lot more fun than fruit or flowers... ;)

5. rainman::|:| thread starter macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

hmm. if i bought him appliances, i'd get my ass kicked. :) i'll forgo all leather-wood-fruit jokes, because they're just too obvious. Okay, just one: It looks like I skipped a year ahead and got him wood this year. Ahem.

Since our anniversary is so close to the holidays, we tend to celebrate it in January... there's a restaurant we both like and I'd imagine we'll go out for dinner and dancing. If the holidays don't kill us first :)

Thanks all for the kind words--

paul

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

And is that a good or a bad thing? :)

Was it embarrassing when he got you the same gift? Must've sucked.... :D

4th grade humor aside, best wishes on many more happy years to come [damn it - there really wasn't a pun intended there, but I can't help seeing it now].

Four years of happiness (and sometimes the bad times like the past summer make the good ones even more precious) are a rare treat for most. To have had that already at a (relatively) young age bodes well for the future. I hope the holidays are great and the anniversary celebration is fun as well. Hmmm. I think I'll stop before I drift too far into wdlove's territory.... :)

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

jsw -- you're incorrigible. And I thought I was bad...

8. zach macrumors 65816

zach

Happy anniversary paul, and good luck on your move and business plans.

9. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Congrats.

I dream of that kind of relationship, where you work through hardships to realize that your with the right person and have been for 4 years.

scem0

10. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Happy anniversary!

Gay-time? Could someone elaborate on this some more? I'm interested in the calculation and why it's there.

11. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Congrats Paul.

My girlfriend and I just hit our one year. We also had some problems this summer, and acutally did seperate for a week or so. We just sat at home, bummed out, talking to each other on the phone. One night, we agreed it was pretty ridiculous - so I just drove over to her house, and everything has been going really great ever since.

I realize the above came completely from left field. Anyway - again, congrats Paul, relationships are hard work.