40 GB iPod or 40 GB iPod Photo?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ReanimationLP, Feb 5, 2005.

1. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Hey everyone! I finally worked out some things with my mom and shes gonna let me get a job. :D I wanna start saving up for an iPod. I am interested in the iPod Photo or the 40 GB iPod. I wanna get a 40 GB so I can carry my data with me. Do you personally think the iPod Photo is worth the extra 100 dollar price premium? I went to a Best Buy to check it out, but the iPod was dead and the iPod Photo looked kinda sad. X.X Also, do you think Applecare is worth it? And the in-ear earbuds from Apple, plus I'm also looking for case suggestions to protect my iPod when I get one. Thanks! :cool:

2. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

The photo has a nice screen and can show photographs, but it's a bit thicker than a regular iPod.

The main advantage of the iPod photo is that it has a bigger battery

3. wnameth macrumors 65816

wnameth

are you gonna use it for iphoto if you get the ipod photo, otherwise you should get the 4G ipod ad use the extra 100$ to get some nice accessories or apple care.

4. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

IMO no. I have a 40gb iPod and I don't miss the colour screen one bit when it's sitting my pocket playing music(aka: 90% of the time).

But than again I thought the iPod mini was the stupiest thing ever and it sells like hot cakes, so whatta I know :p

5. keithpetey macrumors member

yeah i thought it was lame too but i didnt realize that people werent as into music as i was. i bought a 20 gb thinking it would be enough but my music collection was way bigger than i expected. it took me forever to go through every cd.

6. verces macrumors member

Remember where iPod photo stands...The Top. There's a reason.

iPod photo all the way. For an extra $100. The Color screen, the Photo capbilities, the 15 Hour battery life, the newer model all fit into place...plus all the accessories and the Dock with S-Video out. :p

Why on earth would you want to waste $400 on an old model thats nearing a year if you could add $100 more and get the TOP-OF-THE-LINE iPod?

If you still can't make up your mind, wait for the 5G.

7. ReanimationLP thread starter macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Thanks.. I'm looking at the iPod Photo, as it does have extra battery life, which I like very much. :) Been using a CD player for too long. Anyone know of some good cases? I'd rather not get the iSkin ones since I heard they get dirty fast from the lint in pants pockets, and the Apple case looks a lil bland (ie. no way to change controls without pulling it out of your pocket), Also, are the in-ear earphones any good? I got a pair of Sony Studio Monitors, but they're huge and one h-e-double hockey sticks of a pain to stick in my pants pockets, since you cant have headphones on at school. :eek:

8. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

I'd say it's a good choice going for the Photo.
    My sister got one for her birthday and it looks and feels realy nice. The color screen is very nice!

I bought some (jawa i think, not @ hand right now - procrastination) in-ear earbuds with clip behind the ear just to be able to listen to music on the road (i have a Palm zire71 so i use an 256 Mb SD for holding Mp3s). Senheiser and pananasonic (i think) ear buds (? right :eek: ) just fall out more than occasionaly.
    The ipod's ear thingies however are great. Nice fit, don't fall out and sound absolutely fantastic for speakers that small.

And then i had to give her new toy back. :(

Cheers