40 Years Of The Amazing Spider-Man

Discussion in 'Community' started by grapes911, Jun 16, 2005.

1. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Has anyone seen or purchased this. I'm a pretty big Comic fan, but I'm only 21 and so I've missed many comics. I'd have a good idea of the stories but I'd love to read the comics.

Does anyone know if this is good. Its says its OS X compatible, but how readable is it? Is it a good resolution?

Thanks for the input.

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

I don't know about this particular one, but we've done a lot of scanning recently for various art and comic strip books to capture older materials. The quality turns out to be quite good, and I'm sure a lot of time was spent cleaning up the color, so it should be okay.

3. mongo1515 macrumors newbie

the quality is actually quite good. you can zoom in quite a bit. the great thing is that it's the actual comics including all covers, inside and out, ads, etc. so you can really see how much grit newspaper has advertised over the years. it was really great to fill in the holes of spidey's early history for myself.

the only disappointing thing is when you get to a poor run of issues, and it becomes clear that someone is responsible for it--it's easier to see who's really good at telling a story and who really knows the characters, and who doesn't (marv wolfman almost destroyed the whole thing, sheesh he sucks), not to mention when they let a crappy artist set up shop.

ditko may have been there at the start, but lee/romita really and truly rocked. and for my money no one ever made spider-man look more agile (but still as plausibly human) than ross andru.

i find the issues after #200 increasingly difficult to stomach (especially after having gone back from the start), though i have a difficult time identifying the precise moment he jumps the shark.

more info that you asked for, bonus.

4. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I'm sorry for this interjection but has anyone else noticed the great number of spider related threads. Spiders in computers, fear of spiders, spiderman, etc.

5. grapes911 thread starter Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Thanks for the input, guys. I think I'm going to order it today.