400GB hd in an old powermac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tonywalker23, May 1, 2006.

1. tonywalker23 macrumors regular

i have a dual gigabit g4 that only recognizes around 128 GB (i think thats the limit)

i have a 400gb hd that i would like to put in there. hass anyone tried this app:
    SpeedTools ATA Hi-Cap Support Driver
    http://www.speedtools.com/ATA6.shtml

what are the pros and cons of doing this, it says it will allow you to put a big hd in a mac that wouldnt normally recognize it.

any thoughts please help..

thanks
    tony w

2. Roseyboy macrumors member

Hi, Did you ever get a reply to this, i have the exact same question!

3. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

I had/have a 1.25 dual MDD G4 and that darn thing wouldn't let me get over 250GB or something. It wasn't as tough a problem as I thought, but I can't remember exactly what I did...

I think it actually recognized the higher drives (had a 750, 400 and others above 200 in there in the end), but crashed when the drives slept so I had to leave the computer always awake (but monitors could sleep).

After 2 years of that noise the main drive tanked because it was always on in the daytime, and I realized the computer was too limited for my future needs. So I purchased a newer system in June.

4. tonywalker23 thread starter macrumors regular

the most it would recognize was the first 128 gb of the hd. you can partition the hd into 120ish gb partitions to get around it. or you can purchase a internal pci card that has ata slots on it. i just put a 120 gb hd in it and put the 400 gb in an external hd case for a while. ive since sold all of them (computer, hd)

tony