400mhz G4 upgrading o/s

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by kenaba, Feb 17, 2007.

1. kenaba macrumors newbie

HI I have a G4 powermac 400 mhz with os panther 10.3.9 installed Can this G4 be upgraded to Tiger and if so which version.There seems to be many versions of tiger ie some say amd or intel etc If i can upgrade which version should i look for Any advice would be appreciated

2. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Yes There Is Only One Tiger

You've been misinformed. There is one and only one Tiger. It is at the end of its time soon to be replaced by Leopard. We're at 10.4.8 soon to be the final 10.4.9.

If I were you I would wait for Leopard before upgrading. You may or may not be able to go to Leopard. WE haven't gotten the minimum requirements yet. Your machine is the oldest slowest G4 ever made. So you're on the cusp of weither or not it will be inside Leopard's minimum specs. Moreover, you should be thinking about selling it and buying a modern C2D Mac.

The OS Installer automatically installs the correct code according to the processor in your Mac.

3. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

Tiger won't even run really well on your g4. 10.5 won't run very well. That is my guess. Stay where you are.

TS

4. California macrumors 68040

California

Huh? Tiger is fine if he stuffs the PM with ram. I just put Tiger on a G3 and it runs FINE.

5. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Tiger Runs Faster Than Panther On All G4s Full Of RAM

Absolutely. Don't listen to anyone who tells you Tiger won't run on any G4. It runs better and faster than Panther on a G4 as well as G3s. Just need to max the RAM for sure.

6. kenaba thread starter macrumors newbie

400mhz G4 upgrading o/s

Thanks for your imput I have 512mb of ram installed is that enough

7. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Your Mac Wants 4 x 256 Modules For A Total Of 1GB

NO. It's above the minimum 256MB listed on the box but you need to max it out. In your model that will be 4 x 256 modules for a total of 1GB.

You realize you are trying to upgrade a Mac that was new in 1999? That's 8 years ago. Can you not afford a new or newER Mac? Even a new refurb Mac Mini for $649, 17" iMac for $799 or a MacBook for $799 would be a quantum leap in performance - especially if you can wait a couple more months for Leopard to come with it.

Are you super broke? It's really not worth throwing the $200-$300 you are talking about at that old door-stop. Better off leaving Panther on it with only 512MB of RAM and try to figure out how to buy a newer Mac - Core Duo minimum.

8. Niftium macrumors newbie

From someone who understands working on a budget, I have a 350 MHz G4 running Tiger. With a gig of RAM, it's still very snappy. It's flaky due to some overclocking (OCed to 400), and the fan sounds like a 6-man heavy metal band, but otherwise it's a fantastic home machine.

However, I do agree that maybe you ought to wait for Leopard. Worst case scenario: Leopard's minimum reqs are more than your machine can handle and you end up picking up a cheap copy of Tiger from someone else who was able to upgrade.

9. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

WRONG! Clicky Clicky

10. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

To run tiger efficiently I would install at least 1 gig. This will insure that computer will be happy. 10.4 will run on a 400mhz processor, but If the features offered in 10.4 will not be used I would stick with 10.3. 10.4 will run, just not as good as 10.3.

I upgraded my mothers iMac G3 with 10.4 and after finding that she did not use the extra features in 10.4, downgraded her to 10.3 so she would get better performance.

11. lind0834 macrumors regular

I've got a 400mhz G4 (had to disable cache) with a Gig of RAM.
    It runs Tiger decent of course no Quartz goodies.

I threw a SATA card in it, and it's a great RAID based back-up server.